Chemo cycle #1 completed :)

So, I've recently finished my first cycle of chemotherapy, and whilst it's still early days I am feeling not too bad so far, some minor side effects which arent too bad, but that could all change over the next 5 months. At the moment the only side effects I have been having are tiredness, an unsettled stomach and not going to the toilet as much as I'm used to.

The 1 thing I am slightly concerned about is that on my second session of this cycle, the nurse who tried to put the cannula in couldn't get the needle in as it seemed too painful, so she had to get another nurse do try a 3rd time. I'm not usually bad with needles, None of the blood tests/CT scans etc seemed to be as bad that, but it may have been just a one off. Apart from that, the only other issue was one of the drugs started to cause a sharp painful stinging sensation through my arm shortly after it was administered, which was a simple case of covering my arm with a heat pad as the drug was stored in cold storage. So, yeah, a few minor set-backs, but hopefully next session will be a bit better.

:) 

• Hi! I've just completed 6 months of chemo as of 2 weeks ago. If you don't me asking, what chemotherapy regimen you're on? As one of my drugs was painful to administer which is typical side effect of that specific drug.

In regards to issues with inserting an cannula, it's very common for your veins to collapse due to the stress of having chemotherapy. Maybe it's worth discussing it with your consultant (if this persists again) as they may offer you a PIC or Hickman line (I've had both) which makes the experience of having chemotherapy much stress and anxiety free!

Jayney 

• Hi Jayney! Thanks for your reply    So, I've just finished cycle 1 of a 6 months treatment of ABVD, to which I seem to be doing ok with at the moment. This time round it was quite painful as mentioned, to get the cannula in which I found odd as since I was told I may have cancer, all the blood tests, CT/PET scan etc, never really caused me any pain. Other than that, one of the drugs started giving me a sharp stinging sensation in my arm, which was a quick fix.

I was told about the PIC/Hickman line, but I would prefer to wait, see how I get on next time. Although stubbornness is a flaw that put me off getting checked out sooner than I probably should have done. 

I'm glad you are doing well after completing your treatment. All the best

Tim x

• Ah ha! I suspected you're having ABVD I had the same, well for two months then I was on AVD for 4 cycles  after good scan results. If you want to know anything, just shout