Chemo

Hi I'm on my 3rd cycle of chemo for BC and just finished EC-T. A side effect I keep having is heaving like I'm going to be sick but never am sick. It usually happens when I talk about the treatment and when I go to the toilet. Has anyone else experienced this? My last 3 rounds are going to docetaxel. 

•  

HI N84,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your retching. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer, but haven't had chemo. Have you got some anti-nausea medication? If this is not working for you, let your care team know, as there are a number of different products for this purpose. They should be able to give you something more effective.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• N84 . I am always sick. I’ve not started my chemo yet. 

Soeak to the team they should be able to give 

you some anti sickness medication.  

I had my lymph node removed 3 weeks ago still recovering and yesterday one year later they diagnosed I have breast cancer. My whole worlds fallen apart and under shock and very confused 

I did not even suspect that I had cancer. They say 

cancer is never painful but I’ve been in pain a whole year.  I have to go for more scans and tests then chemo and radiotherapy and maybe another op. Thing is I’ve not yet come to terms with everything I’m not ready to tell anyone even. X Babita 

• n84 I no idea about what to expect from chemo 

I know I’ll loose my hair but just very scared would I survive even ? As I’m not even positive anymore since yesterday everything seems dark and long. 

I’m just nervous and very scared 

I hope you feel better soon. Babita. 

•  

Hi Babita,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis yesterday. i am not at all surprised to hear how you are feeling. It is bad enough to get a diagnosis like this when you are expecting it, but when you weren't, this, it is an awful lot to take in. It often takes some time for the reality to sink in. Have you been told what type of breast cancer you have, or what grade it is yet?

At the moment there are so many unknowns that you are fully entitled to feel daunted. Most of us feel nervous and scared at this stage. You will feel better about all of this once you get the results of these further tests and, move on to whatever treatment is deemed best for you. Do you have a date for further tests yet and, do you know what tests you will be having?

Can I ask why you you had your lymph nodes removed before you were told you had cancer? Please don't worry about chemo just yet. Take things one day at a time - that's more than enough to cope with just now. Many people have survived chemo, so there's no reason why you shouldn't. It's a hard road for most, but the prize at the end of the day is survival. The loss of your hair may seem devastating, but it soon grows back and, it is a small price to pay for the gains we all expect.

I have had two bouts of breast cancer in the past ten years and feel so fortunate that I am still here. Every day is another bonus. I hope that you will feel likewise in the years to come.

Do please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• jolamine 

thank you for your reply and kind words. 

Ive has aggravating pain and lymph nodes got enlarged rapidly since a whole damn year. Eventually they took it out to get me painfree 3 weeks ago it’s a painful nasty procedure in breast and armpit. 

Yesterday the biopsy was back and got the sad news. 

I need to have an mri. Bed scan. Mammogram and ct scan. Incase it’s spreaded as it’s taken a whole year for them to get this far. They can’t say what stage it is till end of jan all he did confirm was that I need chemo and radiotherapy and possible another operation. I just don’t know what to think or expect. Part of me is giving up. It’s jyst a long dark road. 

My whole world just fell apart. Hair grows back she did say to wear the cool cap it’s less chance. Got a breast nurse xx. So how are you feeling now. Have you got the all clear ? Did you have chemo ?  I got to tell my son. Elderly parents. Family. Being the baby of all I’m the closest to them all. Hubby said we will get through this I just have no energy. Each day I keep being sick. Headache for a long time xx. Hope your ok now. All my tests are next month. Great Christmas hey. 

•  

Hi Babita,

I know that it's a shock, but try not to let it get you down. The more positive your attitude is, the better your outcome is likely to be. Please don't worry about telling people yet. What age is your son?  Most people leave this until they know exactly what they are dealing with. The end of January is another long wait for results, so you may find that you want to tell family sooner than that. You'll know when the time feels right. At least your husband knows and, I hope that he is being supportive. I'm not a doctor, but I am surprised that your enlarged lymph nodes didn't set alarm bells ringing.

I am doing well now, but have had a rocky road throughout the past 10 years. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer, a number of breast scares and 3 suspect melanoma. Fortunately, the latter turned out to be benign. I had a lumpectomy first time around, with six lymph nodes removed, followed by Tamoxifen. Second time I had a double mastectomy, which was a year later. This was followed by taking Letrozole for 6 years. I finished taking this in July 2017. I also had a number of side-effects to medication and ended up having both knees replaced and 5 eye operations as a result.

I was advised to have radiotherapy after the lumpectomy, but this never came to pass for operational reasons. After the double mastectomy, I was told that there was no need. I never had chemo.

I am currently waiting for a brain scan (have been waiting 2 months so far), as doctors are not sure whether the fits that I take from time to time are being caused by something untoward in the brain, or by side-effects of medicaton. I sincerely hope that it is the latter! Other than that, I am fine and, still living a reasonable quality of life, but I count myself lucky and, as I said in my last post, I consider each day a bonus.

I was totally exhausted for the first few years of my diagnosis too, but this has improved, although I still tire easily. Have you been given anything for the sickness? If not, speak to your care team and, if one medication doesn't work, ask for another. There are quite a number of options. I have to take a tablet daily to reduce this.

Despite having all of this hanging over you, I hope that you can put it to the back of your mind and enjoy Christmas - it's certainly not the best time of year to be waiting for results like these, but when is it a good time?

Kind regards
    Jolamine xx

• oh no so sorry to hear. How do you feel now ? 

Life hey. Guess your right.  My son is 22 now 

but from my first marriage but I brought him up alone so we are very close. I re married five years ago. 

I know they found my lymph node enlarged over s year ago. Took a biopsy from breast said it’s nothing. Lymph nodes kept coming back in armpit. Right side again and again larger. In October they decided to remove them  that’s why cancer was not in my head they said it wasn’t that. 

Now they confirmed after lymph node biopsy back it’s. Cancer My world fell apart not accepted even. Yes a crap Christmas not doing much. 

I’m still recovering from the operation still very sore. I’m just scared I want to live. They feel it may have spreaded as that’s why I need to have a pet scan. Mri. Mammogram next month. Then a treatment plan in place. Said I need to be careful of infections. Possibly another op he didn’t say what for and I was just shocked forgot to ask but asked breast nurse to see us next week when hubby can go back with me. I will ask re vomiting it’s an awful thing daily.  My hubby been really supportive and just shocked As ever. 

Hair loss I guess with cool cap it’s a bit less. I’m just shocked still I will tell my son next week and my family in January when we visit. I don’t want to upset anyone over Christmas. Xx. Thank you. And do you have any treatments. Sorry to hear about all your operations etc xx. 

•  

Hi Babita,

We all tend to think that we are at the worst possible stage when we are diagnosed. However,if it has taken them a year to find the cancer and they only found it as a result of your post-surgery pathology results, I would hope that it is a low grade cancer. Having said that, I am not a doctor.

If you have had your lymph nodes removed you will still be uncomfortable. I am still uncomfortable under my arm where mine were removed 10 years ago. We all need to be careful of infection once diagnosed, especially if having any treatment , as this can compromise our immune systems. I would imagine that your op will depend upon what they find . If you are seeing your breast care nurse next week, it would be a good idea to write down any questions you may have for her in advance. I always do this before an appointment.

I suspect that we may have got our wires crossed earlier. Grade and Stage are two different things. You usually get told the type of breast cancer and the grade when you get the results of your biopsy. You won't get the staging until after your surgery. It might be worth asking your nurse about this when you see her. Also don't forget to ask her about anti-nausea medication.

Many of us have to go through this additional scanning. Just remember that it is as much to rule out any spread as to find it.

I don't want to burst your bubble re the cold cap. It works for some but not for all, so by all means try it and, I hope that it works for you.

Your son will I am sure be upset to hear about your diagnosis, but at 22 he is old enough to be a good support to you, along with your husband. sadly, cancer doesn't just affect the people with it. It impinges on their families too.

I am doing well. i have previously stopped breathing under anaesthetic and now have to have fibre-optic intubation for any surgery. This also means that I also have to swallow the camera without coughing before I am put out. This makes any surgery that involves an anaesthetic more risky for me, so I am just thankful to have come through so many operations. The only treatment that I have related to my cancer these days is medication for the side-effects of some of the treatment I've had.

Kind regards,
    Jolamine xx

• thank you so much for your support. I know you been through a lot. Tough life I guess. I will ask about sickness. Yes thank god my son is older. I think I’m just in denial  I will let you know what happens. Cool cap yes will try to wear it hopefully it won’t all drop out. I have thick longish Indian hair lol but going to have it cut to shoulder length. 

Where do you live   I’m in Scunthorpe  

I hope you have a good Sunday xx take care 

•  

Hi Babita,

It is certainly worth asking your nurse about the sickness. It is not unusual to be in denial to start with. Eventually we find that we just have to accept the inevitable. What a pity to have to cut your lovely long hair. Those who have had chemo often recommend getting hair cut short to make it lighter and therefore to create less pull on the scalp. I live up north.

Kind regards,
    jolamine xx