Chemo

Has anyone else been really ill from Chemo ? First one was last friday and since then I cant do anything :(  Just getting up for the toilet is a struggle :( Im still being sick,can't eat anything and pretty much sleep all the time :(  Will things ever be normal again :-( 

• I’m really sorry to hear this. 

I’m going through chemo myself and the side effects have been manageable so far, though I know other people going through the same chemo who’ve been much worse. It seems to be quite an individual thing!

I’d call your chemo hotline as it sounds like they need to urgently review your anti nausea medications. 

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

• In answer to your last question, having had my final chemo two weeks ago - yes, there is normality at the end of the tunnel!

Re your sickness, ask your GP or your cancer nurse for drugs to stop that.

Re feeling exhausted - I remember that feeling.  I couldn’t really do anything I felt so wiped out.  However, by the second week I felt slightly better, and by the third week a little better again.  I have never felt so tired, but just go with it, and things do get better.  I’m still not walking far, but I can do more than I could all those months ago.  You will be the same.  Take care of yourself.

• I thought chemo be a walk in the park I was only 38 at the time ! I had 6 days 6 nights intravenous . Stayed in hospital throughout . I was fine for first 3 days then it hit me like a train !!! I found I was ok 3 weeks after each lot of chemo . I had quite a few rounds of  chemo then radiotherapy every day for 6 weeks . That was tough . Felt terrible as everyone on the ward was terminal and I wasn't . Felt guilty . That was just the start for me but 5 years on u wouldn't know I had ever been ill !  Hang in there you will be normal again .. wishing u a very speedy recovery . Stay strong and positive . Worst part I remember was missing my little girls first day at school as I was in hospital 

reading your post brought memories back . 

• Hi Smiler,

My biggest chemo regret was not asking for help with the nausea, diarrhea and constipation earlier than I did - I somehow imagined that what I was going through was normal. The meds helped - though not completely.

On the positive side, the side effects started to fade within days of stopping chemo.

Hang in there!

Dave

• Hello

I’m just about to complete my chemo treatment (Monday morning). Had 4 cycles in total (Xelox).

first cycle was like walking in the park - apart from first day of the cycle when I was receiving drip of oxaliplatin - this made me tires so I just slept all evening and night... next day woke up fresh and ready to work- I have been agreed flexi working hours from home as I didn’t want to stop working :) Second cycle - had to be off sick for about 3 days after drip and my energy levels gone down a bit but then was albo work as normal. 3rd cycle - well energy levels below any bars to be fair for about a week - I have just stayed in bed and slept most of the time... the last cycle was the worst - first week I have been off sick - laying down and sleeping... the whole of this week I was able to work but from bed :/ my skin on feet gone out so they are very sensitive - just have to be careful when walking etc... and again energy is still a bit low. 

The side effects and the way how you feeling during chemo is very individual also depends what kind of treatment you receiving.

you can talk to your doctor or nurses about all sode effects and they will be able to advice or prescribe something to help :)

Wishing you all the best :) and remember what in the end of that terrible feeling right now is worth the effort :) 

Mal