chemo

I feel so down and crying all the time. Son my second lot of Chemo and just don't feel myself Been told to toughen up but it's not as easy as that

• hi there,

don't feel bad for letting ur emotions flow it ain't easy to face this bloody disease cry all u need and if u need someone to chat i'm here

virtual hugs 

sandy xx

• Hi I am so sorry for you. I have yet to start chemo, was just told on Friday I need it after the results of my surgery tests and am finding it hard not to scream and cry all day long. I'm still reeling from the knowledge.

i think all of us are pretty scared and it's not helpful if someone tells you to toughen up!  What you need is practical and emotional support not people who think adopting a stiff upper lip is the only way to deal with such a debilitating and life-changing diagnosis and treatment. Everyone copes differently but if being treated for cancer doesn't give you the right to emote then I don't know what does! 

I truly hope things get better for you. I will more than likely be as bad, if not worse than you after my first chemo. Take care of yourself.

Cindy x

• Hi. I've just started my chemo and so far it's not too bad. I was really worried about it as I have a terrible vomit phobia and you hear how awful chemo is but so far, so good. I've only done the first few days but it's fine. I'm aware that chemo is cumulative and I'll probably start to feel more things as it goes on but I'm trying to take the mindset that I won't. I'm on a combination treatment for pancreatic cancer (which was completely removed by surgery which I'm still recovering from too) so I'm doing IV and tablets. I can understand how overwhelming it all is as I have my moments but I'm looking at it as something to just get through and then I can get on with the rest of my life. Don't let anyone else without cancer tell you what to do or how to feel - you get through this however you can. Fear is the worst thing and often you'll find that what you fear actually isn't as bad as you thought it would be. Good luck!

• Cindy, are you a UK based Kiwi too? Just noticed your username. I've lived here for 26 years but still a true blue Kiwi girl!