Chemo 1 down 5 to go.

Would just like to say to anyone starting chemo that I was so frightened and had a huge feeling of dread that 

made it impossible to eat, once started, the feeling disappeared and I felt hungry for the first time in days.

Apart from feeling exhausted, I was lucky to have managed any side effects with help from my G. P. (Steroids made my mouth dry so he prescribed saliva spray and anti sickness meds, also given to me to take home from hospital.)

It’s true that our greatest fear is fear itself.

Ive come to accept that it is what it is and hopefully my treatment will kick Cancers ***

• Hi Donka I think we all worry about chemo because of all the scare stories. I am sure that some people do suffer but not everyone. We all have different side effects depending on the drugs, quantity and I am sure how fit we are when starting treatment. I wrote a chemo diary jotting down how I felt physically and mentally. It helped identify when I would have bad days (mine was painful joints particularly in my legs) so I could plan. It was also useful when seeing the doctor as I had everything written down. I did not need the anti sickness tablets and they had to reduce the steroids. The one side effect we all seem to have is exhaustion but this comes and goes. Good luck with the rest of your treatment. River
  • Hi Donka,

Good luck with your chemo!

After all the stress of waiting for it to start, I found the process itself a bit of an anti-climax! The side-effects were cumulative but believe me they fade into distant memories if you get a positive outcome :-)

Best wishes to you and everyone starting treatment!

Dave

• Hi River Thanks for your reply. Tonight my hair has started coming out in clumps, hope the chemo is battering the cancer as much as it’s battering my scalp!!! Defo going to take the clippers to what’s left on Saturday. Did shed some tears but now feel stupid as I knew it was coming. 2nd chemo is this coming Tuesday, trying to stop myself freaking out again. Good idea keeping a diary, Thanks Donna
  • Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply.

Getting ready for round 2 on Tuesday.

Heres hoping i don’t get too many side effects.

The actual chemo only takes an hour, so far not too much joint pain.

As you mentioned, best wishes to anyone starting treatment.

Donna