Cervical polyp

Hi, I'm new here. I'm really frightened at the moment as my GP sent me through urgently to have my poly removed. I suffer from severe health anxiety and she knows how bad it is. I freaked out completely . She caught it on the speculum and it bled a little. She said it was a polyp , fleshy and bleeds easily. But I thought most polyps were like that as I read lots of times that they are fleshy. It's been ten days so hoping to hear from the hospital soon.

brief history,

had my twins at 36 weeks 1st March 2019, went in at around 33 weeks with a bleed as id strained to go to the loo, they did an internal and the polyp was there. The consultant looked at it . Said is a polyp no need to remove ut unless it starts bleeding etc. fine the rest of pregnancy.

went for smear (normal) 2 years ago it was there then. The nurse said it's not causing problems so we won't do any thing . Fast forward to dec 2020 had a heavy  Bleeds with clots etc. doctor looked and said  there's no polyp. Bleeding stopped. Then two weeks ago had a heavy bleed with clots etc so went to a&e . Got tranexamic acid . Ended up taking them two weeks as I was going away and scared I would bleed. Towards the end could feel my period wanting to start. I stopped them and period has arrived. Light as  usual

as I'm on the  mini pill and still have periods. No pain anywhere at all even with heavy bleeds. Alway had rubbish periods etc. so I googled a lot and it says less than 2% chance of cancer. But my focus is on the 2 % so I googled it and it's a very invasive incurable one. I'm not eating I'm shaking inside and crying all the time. My anxiety is another level. I have 5 kids and am 39. Xx

• Hi Dreena,

I'm sorry you are going through this right now. I want you to take a breath and try to relax your mind a bit. You are doing the right thing, getting yourself checked out. I also have suffered from severe health anxieties and I will tell  you that knowing is so much better than worrying! Taking control of your health is so relieving adn empowering. If there is something wrong, you come up with a plan to attack it, if there isn't, you move on. Once you get used to doing this you will find that the anxiety starts to fade. Good luck and please come back and tell us how you are getting on.

Laura xx

• Hi, thanks for the reply. 
    so yesterday was a bad day. I took myself to the out of hours GP at the hospital. He was one of my old doctors and so he knows what I am like. I broke down completely. Then he said is this over this polyp? I said I'm so scared it's serious. Then he literally had me there an hour , appointments are only 15 mins. He showed me the referral note to the hospital from my GP and he said there is nothing here that that points to malingnancy . She wrote about the contact bleeding and the size. But she told me it was roughly pea size so not that big. He showed me her notes and nothing said chance of malignancy, she actually wrote low chance, so I think the way my brain works I've taken the things she said totally wrong and let my anxiety take control. He said this looks like a normal polyp to me , she probably wanted you fast tracked because she knows how bad your mental health wil get waiting for weeks and weeks and also if it's causing bleeds it's ruining your quality of life... he  actually said I'm not worried about the polyp, I'm more worried about the anxiety.

So I'm feeling a bit better today . He seen on the hospital notes my appointment is on 25th October so only a week to wait now . 

thank you for taking time to reply x

• Hi,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Any updates from your appointment on the 25th?

Laura xx

• Hi there,

ah thanks so much for asking, I thought I'd got back to this post but it was the one on mumsnet.

all is great, I had a bit of a melt down and she couldn't understand why, she was amazing and said I can tell you now by not even looking this won't be nasty.

then she got it up on the screen and was poking it . She said this is totally normal and isn't at all concerned. She gave me options as it's a broad stem.

take it out there and then but she said it might be a lot of blood loss as they don't have the tools at hand

leave it and if it's bothers me in the future they can take it out.

come back and have it out in day surgery. She said it will be a lot better me being asleep and will be asleep only 15 mins. She said she will also do a hysteroscopy and check if there's and more further up  as that can happen , and if there is she will whip them out and I will be polyp free.

so I chose day surgery. Wont be for a few weeks as she's taken it off the urgent list. Hoping it will be January 

thsnk you so much again for checking in on me 

Andrina xx