Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Cervical cancer symptoms?

2 Dec 2019 23:52

Hi, 

im new to the site and hoping for a bit of guidance, I’m up to date with smears (last one about 12 months ago)  all been clear. However in the last few months I’ve had the following symptoms:

A sharp pain on my left side, in pelvic area,it’s not constant, comes on suddenly.

Pain during sex 80 percent of the time.

extreme heavy bleeding after sex.

a discharge that has an odour, twice in the last 2 months both times been told it’s bv and thrush and once antibiotics complete it starts again.

Weight loss

fatigue

im currently a week late on my period, my periods have started being irregular in the last few months

i think it’s also beneficially to know the following, I had an iud fitted in January, non hormonal, this never affected my periods, except made them lighter.

my now ex partner admitted to cheating on me as the lady he was seeing was diagonosed with HPV.

ive been to my Dr about the above and been refused my smear as not due, I’ve been tested for STIs all negative and just keep trying told I have an infection or it’s my coil.

im just at a little loss and hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I can’t explain how I’m feeling, my body feels exhausted. 

Thank you 

3 Dec 2019 08:04 in response to Leah90

Hi Leah,

I am going through the same as you at the minute. Has a doctor had a look at your cervix? You could have an ectropion which is where the cells from the inside of your cervix are on the outside. It would explain the bleeding and discharge but not the pain. If I were you I would push your GP for a gynaecologist referral or colposcopy to look at cervix. I am requesting this tomorrow when I go. You could always buy an at home HPV test in the mean time to try and hopefully put your mind at ease. 

4 Dec 2019 11:09 in response to Leah90

Hello Leah90 and thank you for posting a question. I am sorry to learn about your symptoms. This must be difficult for you.

Firstly,  cervical screening (the smear test) is not designed as a test for people with symptoms. The aim of cervical screening is to detect abnormal cervical cells which if left untreated might one day change and become cancerous. These abnormal cells do not produce symptoms and this is why screening is important. Detecting these abnormal cells and monitoring them until they go back to normal or treating them, prevents cervical cancer from developing.  Usually it takes on average at least 10 years before abnormal cervical cells change and become cancerous, if they ever do. Given that you had a clear screening test about a year ago, it is really unlikely that your symptoms are related to cervical cancer, so I don't think that you need to be overly worried by this. But of course as you are not feeling too good at the moment, it is understandable that you are feeling unsettled. 

Although I cannot  tell you what is wrong, I don't think that you should dismiss out of hand your doctor's suggestion that you have bacterial vaginosis as this does often come back.

There are guidelines for GP's about how women with gynaecological symptoms should be managed. These suggest that if there are unexplained gynaecological symptoms a pelvic (internal) examination should be offered and what happens after this will depend on the findings of the examination.

You cannot have NHS investigations and tests without a referral from your GP. So all I can really suggest is that you go back to see them again to discuss this.

You are very welcome to get back to us if you have any other questions. If you would like to telephone the number to call is freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the best,

Jean