Cervical cancer diagnosis

Hi 

Feeling a bit shocked at the moment as i have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Have to have more tests done to find out what stage im at.

Even though im still shocked as i only found out on tuesday im suprisingly calm! Is this normal.

I had a bit of a nightmare with a hopital last year when i first had my abnormal snear result. Long story but got treated so badly by my consultant that never went back for a second biopsy. 

Ive now moved and have gone to a different hospital but over the last few months i have had signs as in pain, bleeding and funny bowel movements.

Just want any advice on if i had cancer last year and it was missed ( got told i was clear then got told i needed another biopsy so think my results got mixed but not really sure) would it make a big difference to how far it had spread a year on?

Any sdvice would be helpfull

Thanks xx

• Hello  M1kki and welcome. Sorry to read of your cervical cancer diagnosis.

There is a girl who writes on here under the name [@Bexi]‍  who has had cervical cancer who I am sure will reply when she sees your post and may be able to give you some support and advice.

Kind regards,

Lynne.

• Hello,

Everyones case is different, but I  had stage 2A cervical cancer, diagnosed in 2012 after not being to a doctor in 15 years.   My treatment started in November of 2012 and ended in March of 2013, if I remember right. I had chemo/radiation (both internal and external). It wasn't pleasant but I made it through, lost a little bit of wait and my hair thinned but I didn't lose alot. I guess I just want you to know that you can do this!  I know when we hear cancer we kind of think the worst, start googling and kind of become numb. Try to remain positive and take one day, one appointment at a time.  If there are set backs, acknowledge your disappointment, fear or whatever, and move on. Let me know once you find out more and if you have any questions, I am here for you!

Laura xx

• Hello and thankyou. So she is all good now then?

xx

• Thankyou for replying that helps a lot. Do you know how long you had it before you were diagnosed? 

Xx

• You are welcome!  I know how scary it is.  I didn't know how long before hand but I had symptoms probably at least for 3 to 5 years before they got so bad I just couldn't ignore them.  I guess some cervical cancers can be slow growing so I think I probably had quite a long time. 

• Did you tell your family straight away? Ivw told my friends but am worried about telling my mum and my boys :( wanna wait untill i no exactly what stage im at but i know they will be really upset that i havent told them. Just hard to know what to do for the best! 

Im coping quite well 90% of the time but once they know im gonna be worrying about them and not sure how im gonna cope!

Mikki xx

• Gotta say 3 to 5 years is a long time to ignore it but i undersrand why you did it and glad you got  through it :) 

Xx

• I did tell my sister and mom right away because I was pretty sick by then. I don’t have children and not married so they are my closest family. It was a relief to tell them. It was so stupid to wait that long but I suffered from intense anxiety. I was also a heavy smoker and was afraid it was too late. I am very lucky! I am also just about 6 years “clean” from smoking.  

xx

• Thats so good that you have stopped. Im a smoker and dont think i could if i wanted to at the moment 

Im feeling that each day that goes past i feel more down! Is that normal? Feel absolutley fine on saturday so told a couple of family members ( not mum or boys ) but feel worse as they were really shocked and upset. 

Everybidy on here says the waiting and the not knowing is the worse thung and its true so does it get easier as it sinks in?

Sorry dont mean to go on but dont want to keep budening my friends with it coz some of them have taken it worse thrn me so feel bad going on about it 

Xx

• Hiya there, I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and don’t worry feeling calm is perfectly normal, sometimes it does take a good while to sink in, it didn’t really hit me until I had to go in for chemotherapy and even then I found I hard to believe sometimes. There is no way to tell if you had cancer last year it could be that you had abnormal cells but were at the very early stages so they would just need to take those cells away using the LEEP procedure then just kept an eye on you. Try not to worry about the fact it could have spread until you know the nature of the type of cancer, but I can understand how worried you are of course it’s never easy not knowing. I had to have a operation which wasn’t difficult physically but mentally was a different story as I was only 24 and it turned out as a result I couldn’t have children. As for treatment, it is gruelling, but everyone reacts differently, at least it will make you very tired. If you have any questions please do message me... I will keep a close eye on this now so it won’t be a long wait. I told myself everyday that I could do this and I would beat it. Positive thinking is a huge help even in the worst of times and keeping the ones you love close, the smallest things they do or say can pick you up no end. Believe me, you can do this! 

Bex xx