Caring for Husband

Feel so helpless & lonely, caring for my husband aged 63 who is in final stages of colon cancer. Has now developed cellulitis in lower left leg, infection is responding to antibiotics but he is having difficulty in standing/walking on this leg, is this normal does anybody know please?

• Hi Jane... welcome to our little club ... sorry your going through such a hard time right now ... it must be heartbraking... bless ya ... I'm sorry I can't answer your question, hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge then me ...

All I've learned is everyone is different, and have different symptoms and different causes ... it can be like you said, a lonely place to be ... that's probably why this forum was started... to join us all up, and help each other through ... as most are on their own cancer journey so can relate to feelings ...

Hope that helps a tad ... and no matter how you feel, there's always someone here to offer their shoulder to lean on ... be kind to your heart, your braver then you realise ... big virtual hug .. Chrissie xx 

• Thanks for your welcome & quick reply Chrissie my husband's cancer (which was a rare appendix cancer) was diagnosed 3 years ago & after chemo we have made the most of life since. I keep thinking why me/us & know the worse is yet to come. I have to be brave and get through it all.

Thanks again, Jane

• Hi again .. just want to say, even the strongest of us have low days ... l think I'm really on top of so much health problems in my family, including me ... and few days ago my baby (36) had to have tests and could have been cancer ... l had a total meltdown for a day ... so we all have them hunny, and you will feel every emotion, it's all part of loosing our loved ones ... and there's no easy way through .. living in the day is best .. scream if you feel like it... l did and it sure released the pressure (though watch no ones looking)  cry, laugh, and go with it all, knowing your just human ... 

My son's tests look o.k by the way ... make the most of every day you have together ... say what's in your heart ... he may need to say things to you too .. leave nothing unsaid ... and wer here no matter what .. it's like having a virtual family who knows how it feels ... your not alone ... regards an big hug ... Chrissie xx 

• Hi Jane, 

I saw your question about your husband's leg and just wanted to give you our cancer nurses telelphone number as they may be able to help answer your question. They're available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m on 0808 800 4040. If you'd prefer to write to them you can post your question in their section of the forum where they will reply to you as soon as they can.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator