Caring for a terminally ill parent when I am 23

After a long and undiagnosed illness where she physically deteriorated for months, my mom has finally found out her breast cancer has spread to her meninges and she could have less than a week to live. She is only 53. I am 23 and the eldest of four children. The youngest turned 18 today and the whole situation is just breaking my heart I don’t know how we will cope at all. We are all so scared and sad. My nan, her mom, is 85 and lost her only other child years ago. She died suddenly aged 25 of a heart attack. It doesn’t seem right at all for her to lose both children. My mom came home to be with us today but I am scared of how it is all going to happen. My only experience of death was my grandad when I was 7 which my mom and dad protected me from a lot. I hate seeing my dad, Nan and brothers suffer so much. We were always the happiest of families. But I am also struggling to cope with my own suffering as we care for her while her body shuts down yet her beautiful spirit remains unbroken. It is such a tragedy.

• Hi

I am so sorry to hear of your situation.

You are being very brave your Mum and Nan must be

so proud of you and your family !

I hope you have support from the GP and 

palliative care team  and district nurses where you live .

Unfortunately I was in the same situation as you 6 weeks ago looking after my partner at home.

We were fortunate to have a good GP and local palliative care nurse who supported us through until

we got to the stage when he had to be admitted to a hospice nearby.
    It is a lot to cope with !

not only practically coordinating nurses . medicines ,the disease symptoms , washing etc .
    Also emotionally seeing the person you love

become so ill and deteriorate .

Dont be frightened to ask for help

even just a phone conversation to GP , nurses coming in to your house or Macmillan  to support you and your brothers and sisters .

Be strong and look after you self !

keep drinking and eating anything you fancy to keep your strength up even if you don't feel

like it . 

Best wishes 

Ksg 

• Sorry to hear about your partner's illness and thank you for your advice. I think we have someone from a palliative care team coming out tomorrow so that helps. It is all very hard but we are trying to pull together to keep going. Just hard seeing each other so upset!

• Hi there ...

So so sorry your going through this heartbraking time at the moment... life and cancer are so very crule at times  .... yes I bet your so confused and sadly there's no books or instructions for things like this... but Marie Currie are there for terminal illness and their families... offering advice and practical help .. 

You can call them .. look on their web site for more info .. or ask your Drs surgery for district nurse to refur you .. 

This is going to be one of the hardest times we go through... loosing a parent ... but try not to look at the whole picture .. take things as and when they come up ... and having a hand to hold at this time will help her more then you know .. but reach out .. ask your g p and Marie Currie for help at this time .. and take any offers of help .. 

I wish there was more I could help with .. but I can send you a vertual hug.... Chrissie x