capecitabine

I just had my first round of chemmo tablets....14 a day and had to stop after 11 instead of 14 days because of the side effects. I have a rash all over my face and even my gentials have a rash and sometimes bleed. I have a terrible taste in my mouth, was very fatigued and could hardly walk because the bottom of my feet hurt so much. Because of the bad taste in my mouth and nausea it was hard to eat.

My question is since I have no spouse or kids and am 61 should I try chemo again or just move on to a quality of life instead of quantity.

They told me I am stage 3 but they think they got most of it and my chemo is being used as an adjunct.

• Hi Rocker, I am on a combo of Oxaliplatine (Intravenous) and tablets Capecitabine.  The tablets I take are 5 capecitabine twice a day for 14 days then one week break.  This is also adjuvant chemo following surgery for cancer found in the large part of my bowel.  It is hard and not easy, I am on second round and it really knocked me compared to first round, but at the age of 46 it is definitely worth doing it.  I was also Stage 3 and told all of it out, I had a low count 9 (cancerous) out of 35 nodes/bits removed which is a pretty low number in the scheme of things.  You can speak to your oncologist about your symptoms and maybe get it adjusted or even a different combo?  I think you young enough to warrent doing the treatment to make sure you enjoy many more years with no cancer.  Nothing is promised but worth it in my opinion :)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide or any changes etc

Take care

JB

• Hi rocker. I too found capecitabine incurred several side effects.  Your oncologist will normally adjust the dose to help minimise these problems. Please discuss this with the team and see what can be done to help as you need to continue with treatment x

• Thanks. I am hoping she cuts it back from 14 pills a day. I still have my rash on my face and genitals as well as that metallic taste in my mouth after 7 days away from chemo....sucks...I like food...lol.

I hope you get everything fixed and are clear in 5 years

• I see her on the 15th so will see what she says before I decide to quit chemo

• LOL I like my food too, funny enough I never got that metalic taste, but I did do as a friend suggested and used plastic cutley to start, meat and water seems to be the two that give you the metalic taste most.  Stick to fish and chicken and get your iron from plenty spinnach - see if that helps :) I know its not pleasant but the Dr will adjust to suit you it is after all a balancing game, so tell the Dr everything..... don't give up if you can!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Best wishes

JB

• thanks...good ideas. I do have lots of plastic cutlery being a bachelor...lol

• LOL :) it definitely worked for me.... make sure you got strong ones depending what you eat I lost a couple bts of the forks I had hahaha 

Let us know what your Dr says and how you get on

JB :)

• Hi Rocker,

As Max and others have said there a quite a few known side effects to Capecitabine but these can be minimised wih other drugs. Have a chat with your chemo team as soon as you can - they should have a helpline - and get them to sort this out, don't suffer in silence!

I was on Capecitabine orally and Oxaliplatine plus Epirubicine intravenously - I honestly believe that I'd be dead by now if I hadn't been given chemo.

Chemo is a b1tch to get through, but in my case it was worth the investment as, so far, I've had two good extra years. 

Good luck!
    Dave 

• I see the doc Sept 15. We will chat about lots of stuff.

Glad you made it through. Now aim for 22 more years instead of 2

• Cool - hope it goes well :-)