Can't sleep

Hi can't sleep tonight and came across the forum. Was diagnosed with t2 anal cancer mid August have had 6 weeks chemo radiation and finished on 13/10 don't see the consultant for about 6 to 8 weeks for results.

Maybe just because the daily routine of going for treatment is over and I'm feeling very tired but can't seem to get to sleep and to be honest feeling a bit lost and emotional. 

Just thought I'd post and see if others have experienced the same feelings?

thanks Sandra 

•  

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to Cancer Chat,

I am so sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. I have had two bouts of breast cancer, the first 7 years ago and the second 6 years ago.

You have been through a lot in the past few weeks. The diagnosis itself comes as a dreadful shock. Between all the tests and treatments after that, you feel as if you hardly have time to draw breath. If it’s any consolation, the emotions you describe are all perfectly normal. Now you are waiting to see how effective your treatment has been – more stress!

If you find yourself crying, just let the tears flow. You will find that crying is quite therapeutic, as it is a good stress reliever. Many of us suffer from insomnia at night, despite feeling extremely fatigued. If you have problems sleeping at night, let yourself have a cat nap throughout the day.

I sincerely hope that you will find that the chemo and radiotherapy have helped when you have your tests in 6-8 weeks.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you, whenever you feel like talking.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Jolamine

Thank you so much for your reply and your kind words and good advice.

Whilst you wouldn't wish these feelings in anyone it's sort of nice to know others feel the same.

Had a good day today as friends and then nephews came to visit - hopefully sleep better tonight.

Thanks again Sandra x

•  

Hi Sandra,

I am so glad that you felt a little better today, despite your sleep deprivation last night. I hope that you manage to sleep better tonight. Have you tried turning off all eectronic equipment at least 1 hour before you go to bed and either reading or talking to someone before you go to bed?

These feelings are rotten and you certainly wouldn't wish them on your own worst enemy, but nearly all of us have them at various stages in our cancer journey.

I expect that your visitors raised your spirits for a while, or at least concentrated your mind on happier times for a while.Here's hoping that you are already in the land of nod.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx