Cancer returns

Had a melanoma removed from my back last year, and was told I would need further treatment as it was quite deep. Was referred and was seen by the plastics team, he told me that they were going to arrange for to me to have some scans including CT and MRI. The scans had picked up some abnormal lumps a lesion on my liver was found but after they had a look at it I was told it was nothing to worry about. I also had a nodule in my back and a biopsy was done on that no cancer was found. Now that the scans were out of the way an appointment was made for me to have wide excision sergery with Lymph Node removal. Had the operation on the 3rd January 2023 and spent 3 days in Hospital. Got a letter for me to go back to have dressings changed on the 16th January. I told the nurse that I did not feel well as I had a lump underneath my left arm and that my shoulder felt very tender. She did not seem too concerned so arranged for me to get my stitches removed on the 24th January at my local doctor's. It turned out that I had an infection so was put on antibiotics which cleared in about 7 days but even after that I still felt tender under my arm. I waited about 8 weeks to get my results of the lymph node biopsy and was given the all clear and that no cancer was found. So I was happy about that but the plastics team asked me was there anything else that I was worried about and I told her about the lumps underneath my left armpit and a lump on my left breast, so she had a feel and said that she would arrange for me to have a ultrasound scan that afternoon. I had the scan and yes there were 2 lumps and so I would have to wait for them to have a look at it. I got a phone call from the plastics team and I was told that 1 of the lumps they were not too concerned about but the 1 under my armpit showed some abnormal characteristics, so another biopsy appointment was made for me. So I had a FNA on my armpit and a sample was taken from the lymph node, the doctor thought that the lump was a haematoma, boy was he wrong. I telephoned them a week later as I had not heard anything but was told it would be another week, so in this time I was really worried. I got a telephone call on the 24th March and I was told that they would want to see me, I knew something was wrong so I asked what it was and she told me that they had a meeting about me with several members of the team and that the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes. So now I have an appointment on the 31st March to have a chat and to have another CT scan. My original diagnosis of the melanomas was staged at 2c. Sorry if this post was long but I just wanted to tell my experience of having this dreadful disease.

• Hi Michael,

I've sent you a friend request so that, if you accept it, we can chat by pm. 

I know how worried you must be - I progressed from Stage 1 to Stage 3 after being clear for 13 years. However, I'm still here almost 14 years after progression. I only had surgery where as now there is also drug treatment available so more people are being treated successfully for Stage 3 melanoma. 

Good luck at your appointment,

Angie (Stage 3 melanoma patient since 2009)

• Hey Michael, 

sorry to hear you're going through this. I first had cancer 20 years ago and have had 2 occurrences of Mets that have spread from the breast. I'm awaiting a new treatment plan at the moment, I just wanted to say I'm still here 20 years on so don't lose hope. Xx