Bronchoscopy

Hi,  Following a CT for an orthopaedic issue and a lovely surprise appointment for the lung clinic I have just had a Bronchoscopy and biopsy.  The consultant talked me through the previous CT again  and then said they were just going to take a little look today to see exactly where the tumour is in relation to blood vessels, etc and to take a biopsy sample.  Afterwards he came to see me and showed me photographs of the the tumour on an ipad and explained it is obstructing my upper left bronchus and lobe.  I asked whether he thought is was cancer and he said in his opinion it looked very much like a cancerous tumour and that the biopsy would confirm this and what type, etc. He then went on to explain the mulit-discipliniary meeting and my subsequent appointment.  He said I was strong an healthy and it was likely they would take an agressive treatment approach. Firstly, can he really tell it's cancer by the camera work?  Secondly, what is an agressive treatment plan? 

Thanks x

• They'll look at all the evidence at the multi disciplinary meeting and they should be able to tell from that. Aggressive is good, I think. My partner was told the same and for him it meant chemo followed by radiotherapy and he had a great response to the chemo. In my view, it sort of implies that they are going to do their utmost to get rid of it. It isnt necessarily particularly nasty [the word aggressive is a bit off putting!] and they are loads better now about controlling side effects, though of course everyone is different.

'Strong and healthy' is great too by the way!

Good luck xx

• Thanks.  The meeting is on Monday so keep everything crossed for me xx