Breast thickening

Hi Everyone 

Can you help ,been cancer free for 6 six  years. 

But notice a thickening  under the arm , yes it was breast  cancer   I had . But this thickening  might have been there a couple  of weeks  . But don't  think it's  my lymph nodes.  Just think it's a thickening . Gp sends on a 2 week referral.  But wonder if  swollen  lymph nodes  and thickening is the same  thing . Sorry if I  seem  like  an idiot 

• Hello S1964, 

Welcome to our forum. I am sorry to hear about this thickening you have experienced under your arm and you've done the right thing in flagging this with your GP. Perhaps you could call your doctor and ask whether having swollen lymph nodes and thickening is the same thing? I am sure they will be happy to explain things in detail to you - don't worry you're definitely not an idiot it is all rather complex terminology. Feel free also to give our cancer nurses a call on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. 

I can imagine it must be a particularly stressful time for you having to wait to be seen by someone about this. I know it is really hard but try not to worry too much or anticipate what it might be. The best thing to do to avoid thinking too much about this is to keep busy and distracted if you can and avoid looking things up online. I can imagine it is hard for you to do this at the moment  but it will help you feel a little less anxious during what can feel like a long wait. 

I hope you will also hear from others here who have been through all this before and that they will be along soon to share their story with you. 

Keeping everything crossed for you that everything turns out fine. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator