Breast pain

Hi everyone 

Just wanted hear off anyone who has constant breast pain. 

I have to have a mammogram every year as my mom had breast cancer in her 30s . I developed pain like a bruise would feel in my breast. No lump or skin looking diffeent. I was referred and had a mammogram which showed a difference I  the breast tissue. I then had ultrasound and biopsy which came back clear. They then sent me for an MRI which showed up slight enhancement of 3 areas on both breasts. Had to have another mammogram ( a diffeent type one I was told) another ultrasound and loads of biopsies. I was sure they would find something but all have come back clear. The consultant rang me because of the current situation to say everything is ok and will go back to yearly mammograms but I will have yearly MRI too. Now this is all good news but I still have pain in one area and it's still worrying me because I dont know what it is. Could it be hormonal at all.i am 45 and have had the coil for 5 years and in the last 6 months I have had period pains and started bleeding which I havent had since it was put in. The nurse said the hormones would be depleting as i am due a new one and i wondered if this could be a reason for the breast pain.......I'm sorry for long post but I keep thinking have they missed something and I'm constantly anxious as the pain is there all the time. 

• Welcome to the forum Dol although I'm sorry to read what's worrying you.

As this is still playing on your mind and the pain is constant it may be worth booking an appointment with your GP so you can talk things through. I know the coronavirus situation makes things a bit trickier at the moment but if you want to get more reassurance about this and have more than one doctor at your surgery maybe you could try getting a second opinion

I really hope this turns out to be no cause for concern Dol.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

•  

Hi Dol,

Welcome to our forum. I am sorry to hear about your worries. Having a mammogram or biopsy can leave your breast sore for quite a while after. Pain doesn't usually accompany breast cancer. I hope that these two facts can help to ease your mind. The fact that all of your tests have come back clear is also good news. Your consultant is obvously playing safe by adding a yearly MRI to your mammogram.

However, I agree with Steph. It is always best to get it checked out with your GP.

I hope that nothing untoward is found. Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Dol, I have just seen your post from a few months ago and had to reply... have you been to see anyone else or found any more answers? 

I've had constant breast pain on my right side for the last 3.5 years and I'm starting to go a bit mad! It's on the side of my right breast and feels like a bruise that travels into my armpit. I've been referred to a breast clinic twice - once after the pain had been there a year and another the year after and both times they said the area feels a bit tender and could notice a difference in breast tissue like you, but other than that, there are no signs of anything sinister. The second time I went, the female consultant basically said I would always have breast pain and that I needed to just get over it.

It's now been a year and a half since the second scan and I have noticed a few patterns, it gets worse the week before my period - to the point that I get shooting pains / electric shock type pain that I notice throughout the day. It also gets worse when I do any strenuous exercise or chest exercises like push ups. Sorry for the long post, but for the last two to 3 months, I think the pain has got more intense so I'm freaking out that something else is going on and that it's been bubbling away for the last few years... 

I'm trying to get another referral to a breast clinic for a second opinion... anyone else have any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Alice

• Hi Alice 

Sorry to hear about your pain. Did you get ultrasound and mammogram whilst at the breast clinic or was it just consultation? 

I'm in a similar situation, i had mammogram and ultrasound 5 years ago, everything was ok back then. 

My pain is fairly intense since July this year, so I am going in for another check up. Fingers crossed. 

J x

• Hi J,

I got an ultrasound both times I went. The second time they ummed and ahh'ed a bit thinking I might have a fibroadenoma but in the end decided it probably wasn't that.

I had a phone doc's appointment back in Aug but she said they weren't accepting referrals for breast pain and that I should take a pain diary and use ibruprofen gel. The gel didn't do anything and the diary told me what I already know! haha.

Have you had any luck getting an in person check up?

Alice x

• Hi Alice 

I think ultrasound should be quite reassuring. 

I've done mammogram and ultrasound last week, all clear. Doctor advised that I need to reduce caffeine and take prim rose oil. So hopefully the pain will be more bearable. 

Jx