Breast pain

Hi everyone, 

in December I went to the doctors about awful aching pain in on the aide of my left breast, particularly bad if I press a certain area (near my rib cage).i went to the docs and he said he couldn’t feel anything but that I had lumpy breasts and that this could be hormonal (the aching). My left breast is much denser than my right as well. 

Fast forward to last week when I told my boyfriend about my aching (it comes and goes, usually worst before my period) so I went to a walk in clinic, where after a large amount of prodding and really digging deep into my breast the guy found a small pea sized lump which he said he didn’t think was bad, he mentioned something about a mammory gland? that I should get my hormones checked and that I should get a ultrasound. 

Od course this has  terriefied me-the ache is across both breast but mainly my left, and the focal pain is when I press down on the point on my outside left breast by my ribs. I went to my usual go who said she couldn’t feel a lump, and I have no other symptoms apart from the aching and the lumpy left breast! 

Ive got a referrel next week because she said to put my mind at ease but I’ve been crying everyday-has anyone else gone through similar to this and how do you cope with the two week wait? 

Thanks so much xxxx

• Hi Lucie087,

I am in a similar situation, if not sort of identical. My wait is up to 6 weeks for the breast clinic but I've one week down already. I am worried everyday as you can guess from my being a member of this forum but the only way I am coping is by following my routine as normal as possible. I have been a bit snappier to my wonderful partner but other than that I am managing well. I suffer with extreme anxiety so my parents have no interest in my latest issue however earlier in the year I suffered wtih another health issue that I am still in the hospital system getting looked at. I live in Ireland where waiting lists are so long. Up to a year and more for many consultants.

I am NOT an expert but it sounds to me like your issue is hormonal related if it gets worse around your period however you are always best getting these things checked. 

My issue is just constant dull ache in left breast and armpit with no other sympthoms. Hope that you get your answers soon and they are positive.

Saoirse x

• Hiya saoirse,

i agree, it’s a horrible time! And yes that sounds exactly like mine-it’s mainly in my left side and is a constant dull ache. 

I’m a teacher so ibe been trying to keep my mind busy, however someone today asked me today and I burst into tears. I have ups and downs worrying about it-I think it’s the fear about the lump that scares me :(

• Hi Lucie.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I ended up in hospital and was diagnosed with stomach ulcers. The hospital refused to check my breasts but asked another hospital to which I was referred to the breast clinic to rush through my appointment but I have still not heard anything. How are you getting on?

Saoirse

• Oh no! I hope you’re ok? 

Im ok-a lot of crying, a lot of prodding about where my sore rib is. The pain in my breasts seems to have calmed down, but if I press down on my third rib I’m in agony, which has scared me a bit...and continues to scare me!! 

How Rw you doing? Apart from the stomach ulcers xx

• That's terrible, pain can be scary but normally is nothing dangerous! Did you go to your referal?? If so, how did it go?

I'm okay! I heard that the waiting list (in Ireland) for the breast clinic is really long and my appointment won't be until next year so I have to get a loan to go private for it. It's crazy! 

I really hope your appointment went/goes well xx

• Just got out! They did an ultrasound and couldn’t find anything where my pain wAs, then I had my check and he said he couldn’t feel anything bad, but recommended ibuprofen gel for the pain on the side -I think they think it’s muscular! 

Relief is an understatement-so on the way home now. 

I really hope your appointment goes ok! Please keep me updated and I’m sending you all the positive vibes in the world xxxx

• That's great news! I'm delighted for you. You will sleep well tonight anyway :) Seriously can't imagine the relief. Now just put that gel on and see how it goes. Maybe see a physio if need be? Muscle pain can be very sore. 

Thanks so much, I will do. Got a private appointment for Monday. €320 but worth it.

So glad for you again xxxx

• Yes! going to  get some this afternoon hopefully. Ive also booked in a massage for tomorrow morning. 

I actually ended up having a nosebleed on the way back in the car...think the pressure from stress had all become too much haha!

Good luck, and please let me know how it goes. Sending you all the luck in the world! xxx

• Hi Lucie, I too am lucky enough to have gotten the “all clear” today. I hope you are feeling better again and continue to do so. Thanks for your lovely well wishes xx

• Oh Im so so pleased! I was thinking about this today and hoping it would be good news!

You can finally relax! Yes - think Im finally getting over the stress now. About an hour after I got the results I got a huge nosebleed (mum thinks its from the relief I felt!) and my tension headache is finally gradually fading! Its definately made me appreciate everything now!

I hope you have a lovely restful evening! xxx