Breast MRI

Hi everyone, 

Hoping someone out there could shed a little more light on my situation. I think maybe it's a good thing but I don't know. 

basically short story is I had thyroid cancer and radio iodine this year, I had a PET/CT scan after this and it showed what I think the consultant said was an uptake of glucose ? On my right breast. She definitely used the word nodule too. 

I was referred to the breast clinic and I have been last week for a examination (she found something that felt different in the same area as scan so penned the spot) and then sent me for a ultrasound sound because I'm below 40. Ultrasound came back clear so they said ok have a mammogram even though we don't usually, that also came back clear..... this is good news right? Or no? I walked around with that biro ring on my boobie and can't help but think the women found something and it's the same spot the scan found something so why didn't the scans at the clinic show it? Maybe it went away? But also why did she feel it? 

anyway, they gave me a breast mri the following day and that was last Tuesday. Do I call them yet and ask what's going on? I'm scared but think I'm being irrational in a way. 

they didn't find anything so why am I scared.

if anyone has had similar to me on their breast scans etc please shed some light I've had a heck of a year and breast cancer isn't wanted on top of the thyroid cancer! (is it ever!?) 

thanks xx and sorry for the ranting xx

• Hello Rainbow91 and thanks for posting,

I am sorry to learn what has been going on and can understand why this is bothering you, I think it is hard to be rational when you are in the thick of it and waiting to find out if anything is he matter. Things like this are called 'Health Scares' with good reason.  

I am afraid I can't answer most of your questions, but hopefully the MRI will clarify whatever it was that the PET/CT picked up.

I think this will most probably play on your mind until you get the results. There is no harm in calling to ask if the results are back, but even if they are,  it may be that they want to review everything together at a team meeting, so you might not be able to find out any more just now. 

It is easy to make assumptions, but try and keep an open mind for now and take things one step at a time. 

I hope you hear from the breast clinic soon and that there is nothing to worry about.

Give us a ring if you want to talk anything over. Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are here weekdays from 9-5.

Wishing you the best, 

Julia

• Hi Julia,

Thankyou so much for your reply. 
    It's been a hard year and I've been fighting my mind a lot on the way. 
    I think I've woken with a small amount of bravery today. 
    It's that or I just can't face another week without knowing! 
    I'm going to ring them now and see if they know anymore. 

wish me luck! 

• Yikes, really sorry to hear you are going through this. Two investigations for two different cancers in less than a year is something nobody deserves. And I know how once you have had one positive diagnosis, it is even more worrying when something else comes up, because you now have experience of something coming back positive.

I had a bit of a colon cancer scare last year. It was highly unlikely that it was cancer, and thankfully, it wasn't, but a part of me kept thinking "that was what they said about the thyroid too, that it was unlikely to be anything serious and they just needed to rule it out. If the 5% chance came up then, who is to say it won't again?"

Hopefully, you will get the all-clear this time. It sounds likely that you will.

• MargaretMary, your words mean so much. 

it's like you have been through it all or something!!! 
    literally the same thing I was saying the other day about how hard is it to be positive wIting when last time it ended up so terribly!

Roll on Thursday. At this point I don't care what the results are just anything so I can get out of this stage!

i hope you are well, and Thankyou again.