Breast lump referral

Saw the GP on Friday as I found a hard lump in my left breast.  I don't check them regularly (I know, I know) but I sort of 'sensed' something was wrong and checked and there it was.

I thought the GP would say I was imagining it but she said straight away "Yes, I can feel it".  She has referred me to the breast clinic for more tests.  She was great - very reassuring - and said they'd be quick and I'd be seen within two weeks.

I got a letter the following morning with my referral details which said they'd ring me, but to ring today if I hadn't heard.  So I did.  The lady who answered was very rude, said it was a bit early in the day to be chasing the appointment then said it had been booked in and a letter had been sent out to me.  It's for 2 weeks today so I queried the maximum 2 weeks from referral and she just said, that's the government target and we can't meet it.

I know it's only 2 more weeks to wait but I feel so anxious and the lady was so rude to me.  I have two young boys and I'm so worried.  I've only just got back to normal after having my thyroid removed and I've been through the mill the last 10 months since that was done and I just feel - tearful and panicky.

• Hi [@pinkpixie]‍ 

Welcome and sorry you've found yourself here, like most of us we don't want to be here but it is a great place for advice and support.

I am at the end of my 2 week wait, my breast clinic appointment is tomorrow at 9:30am.

Like you I went to the Dr not with a lump but with a dent in my breast I noticed when changing one evening.

I am sorry you had to deal with that rude lady when you called as you were told too!!

The 2week wait has been tough, my advice is to stay away from Dr Google and plan things to keep you active.

I have 3 boys, 5 year old and 21 month old twins so they keep me busy as I am sure yours do!

We are all here for you

Nicola xx

• Thank you.  I appreciate your reply very much.  Sorry to see you are here too.  My boys are 8 and 10 so only 'young' in my eyes!  How lovely for you to have three little boys!

Good luck for your appointment tomorrow.

• The twins were napping and I was ignoring Dr Google so happy to reply

Ahh yes young boys too!

Thank you, i'll let you know how it all is. The not knowing what to expect can add to the worry.

Here whenever you just want a chat. We can distract each other! X

• You really didn't need this **** and I am so sorry, someone like that really shouldn't be working in that kind of role where she is having to deal with people who are very anxious and scared and deserve sympathy and courtesy. Sounds like you have enough on your plate with the health worries and the kids but you would be perfectly justified in making a complaint about this, it is unacceptable.

The waiting is terrible, I empathise completely.  I noticed a problem when I lost a bit of weight and left breast didn't shrink as it would normally have done (I always lose weight in the spriing), then examined, found a lumpy area and then an axillary node.  Nightmare and my appointment is on Friday which will be eleven days since I saw the GP.  It's a very long and horrible wait.

I hope all goes well with you xx

• Hi Nicola

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your appointment this morning. I am really hoping for good news for you.

xxx

• Yes I think the waiting is the worst isn't it.  I feel a bit disheartened as I thought it was 2 weeks maximum from referral and I was 25% through, only to find myself back at the start.

I hope your appointment goes well on Friday and you get good news.  How lovely that you lose weight every Spring! :-)

Yes, my husband said I should give them feedback, as most people ringing in will be scared and vulnerable.  I might say something when I go for my appointment.

• Yes, say something when you go for your appointment. Say it to a doctor rather than anyone else, then follow up with a written complaint xx