Breast Lump Biopsy

Hi Everyone,

I’m 33 and I found a lump in my breast 2 weeks ago. Today, I had an ultrasound followed by a biopsy. Afterwards, I went to speak to the surgeon. He said that I have a 7mm solid lump and that they would have to wait until next week for the results. The way they were talking, they believe it is cancer.

I asked if there was any chance that it wasn’t, and I was told a small chance.

I am presuming from the way they were talking and the fact that they have so much experience, it is indeed cancer? 

Is there any chance now that it isn’t? Or is it time to hope that it isn’t too aggressive and hasn’t spread? 

Thank you. X

• Hi Tiptoes2901

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about the news that has brought you here. 

I know that lots of out members here will agree that waiting for tests and results can be a particularly difficult time and it's natural to think about all possible outcomes. I'm sure that some of our regular BC ladies such as [@Chriss][@Marlyn]‍ and [@Jolamine]‍ will be able to offer some words of advice and support. 

If you'd like to speak to one of our team of nurses about how you're feeling then do give them a call. They're available Monday to Friday 9am tom 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hello, just seen I've been tagged, sorry I missed your post.

Its just horrible waiting for results, it's probably one of the worse parts of all this...

All I can say is that there is light at the end of the tunnel, your cards of life have been tossed up in the air and you don't know where they will fall. But I promise you, once you know for sure what your dealing with, the wheels will be set in motion for a good way ahead.

Sadly I was told all the way along I had a fibroadenoma and it was nothing to worry about...so I didn't....until I got called in to see the consultant, it certainly was a shot across the bows.. my lump was 11mm yours is 7mm, so it's pretty small....and that's a positive thing...

let us know how you get on? I promise you you will be able to get through this...there's always support here....xxx

•  

Hi Tiptoes,

I am sorry that it has taken me a while to reply to you. I have been away from home for the past 10 days and, had limited internet access. I am so sorry to hear that you have been told that your lump is likely to be cancerous.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 10 years and was told this on both occasions. Sadly, my surgeon was right both times. These people are experts in their field and, don't usually tell you this unless they are pretty sure that something is amiss. Still, very occasionally, they can be wrong. I hope that this happens in your case.

If you face up to it and, hope that it isn't too large or aggressive and hasn't spread, then it can only be a bonus if you get good news.

When are you due to get your results? This is a horrible time, when there are so many unknowns and your emotions are all over the place. I hope that you have good support from family and friends.

Please let us know how yo get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thank you all so much for your replies and for your kind words.

My aunt is currently battling her second round of breast cancer that returned in her spine. She said her experience was the same the first time round and that they told her before the results they thought it was likely to be cancer. Speaking to her, I’ve also found out that my great aunt died of ovarian cancer so I am now wondering if I am more susceptible to breast/ovarian cancer.

I get my results on Friday which is the day before I am a bridesmaid at my best friend’s wedding! As a single, childless 33 year old ( as my partner of 4 years and I broke up in February- didn’t think this year could get worse -doh) I was looking forward to a good party! Now, I’m frantically researching chemotherapy and menopause. 

I will certainly let you all know the results and it gives me hope that there are lovely people like yourselves who have survived this. 

4 and a bit days to go. It’s weird living in slow motion like this!

Thank you all again xx

•  

Hi Tiptoes,

I am so sorry to hear of the break up of your 4 year relationship. this alone must have been devastating for you.

The revelation that there may be cancer present, must have hit you like a brick coming on top of this. I know that it feels like forever when you are waiting for results, but you are almost there. Keep yourself as busy as you can meanwhile to distract yourself from the wait.

I have a history of breast cancer in my family too.

Don't go overboard with your research, as every cancer case is individual to that person and, not all treatment regimes are the same. When you don't know all the details yet, you can end up persuading yourself that this is far more serious than it actually is. This can only add to your anxiety. By all means look up info on chemo and radiotherapy, but try to stick to well respected sites for this .

Can you bring someone with you to your appointment? You will find it easier to cope with if you do. I shall be thinking of you on Friday and, hope that your tests don't find anything untoward. What a time to get your results, just before your best friend's wedding. Do your best to throw yourself into party mode on Saturday and, I really hope that you enjoy the exerience of being bridesmaid.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thank you Jolamine.

My mum is going to come with me. I feel even more terrible being an only child, particularly as I’ve sat crying on her declaring “But who will look after you and dad?!”. 

Counting down the days until Friday and busying myself

playing board games with mum and watching The Vicar of Dibley- a reminder of a simpler time! 3 days to go! Xx

•  

Hi Tiptoes,

I am glad to hear that your mum is going to your appointment with you. It is especially helpful to have someone with you when you are going to get any results.

As to who will look after your mum and dad, you are letting your imagination run away with you. You don't yet know whether or not you have cancer. Of all the people referred to the breast clinic, only 1 person in 8 will  turn out to have cancer, so you could still be one of the lucky individuals.

If you are less fortunate and get a positive result, you will still be here to take care of them. I lost my mum to secondary breast cancer 22 years ago and was diagnosed with breast cancer myself 10 years ago. I had a second primary 9 years ago. The difference in treatment between the two of us has been like chalk and cheese. There is just no comparison between the diagnosis, treatment and after care which I have had and that which my mum experienced. Instead of dying with cancer many breast cancer ladies are now living with cancer.

Some people are still unfortunate if their cancer is too established or widespread on diagnosis, but at your age, I hope that you are catching it early and, that it is not too aggressive. I know that it is almost impossible, especially in the early days, but if you can put a positive slant on this, you will cope much better with all that is happening.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on on Friday, then put it behind you until you get your results and enjoy your friend's wedding.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Tiptoes,

I’m really sorry to read about your situation - both the cancer and the otherwise already challenging enough year you’ve had. I just wanted to let you know I’m in a similar position but a bit further along the track. I’ll add you as a friend and I’m here to chat any time you need. Thinking of you in the lead up to Friday. 

xxx

• Thank you for your kind words Cornish_Lassie!

I've accepted your friend requeset :) xx