Breast lump and arm pain..is this normal

have a breat lump which is painful and the pain goes all the way to my shoulder and arm. Seen my gp today she said its look like blocked nerve and referred me to breast clinic. I am really anxious and crying all the time. I have 2 boys 9 and 11 I can't imagine telling them any bad outcome. 

•  

Hi Gaunthi,

I am glad that you have started the ball rolling. Please don't worry about crying. We nearly all do this and, it is a good release valve for all of those pent up emotions.

Only 1 referral in every 8 referred turns out to be cancerous, so your odds are still good. Besides there are a number of different types of breast cancers. Some are more aggressive than others and much will depend upon what type, grade and stage it is as to what the outcome will be.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 11 years and, am still living life to the full, despite various setbacks along the way.

I do hope that you get your appointment through soon and that you tell us how you get on. We are always here for you.
    kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi thank you. I am trying to be positive but end up thinking the worst case scenario . I got my appointment on the 5th of November. I don't know what to do or how to keep my self busy for this 2 weeks so that I won't go mad. Its half term next week kids will be home I really hope I don't break down in front of my kids. This 2 weeks us going to be really challenging 

•  

Hi Gaunthi,

It is not easy to be positive all the time. You will feel better and more in control when you  get the result of any tests done at the breast clinic irrespective of the outcome. At the moment a lot of what you are feeling is fear of the unknown and not being in control. Once you know the results you begin to  get control back and can move forward.

I expect that you won't have any trouble keeping busy with two young boys to keep occupied next week. I got busy with a large jig-saw with my granddaughters when I was waiting. This worked well, as it took weeks to complete it. It doesn't always have to be work - what about a visit to the cinema if yours are still open?

If you do get a cancer diagnosis, please ask your breast care nurse for advice on telling your sons. There are some useful leaflets on this and you will find them helpful. We all find it difficult to break the news to family, but they do need to know. However, most of us leave breaking the news until we get our results and are sure that it is cancer.

Having said all this, I sincerely hope that you won't need to tell the children anything and that you get the all clear.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thank you so much for your reply, I really hope I don't have to talk to my boys about it, if its come to that I really hope I get the strength to tell the boys. Definitely the unknown is killing me.