My mam has just discovered a lump I'm her breast and also under her arm pit. Went to gp who examined her and told her that because of both lumps plus puckering of the skin she would need a mammogram and possibly biopsy to confirm and would refer her as an urgent case. We have been waiting nearly two weeks. So I contacted her surgery who told me to contact the hospital - she has another 7 weeks to wait for a first appointment for a mammogram! I'm absolutely devastated that it's taking this long. I've spoken again to the gp surgery and also the hospital too. And still no movement at all. She could be non treatable by the time they get round to seeing her. I'm so upset
A very warm welcome to our forum.
I am sorry to hear of your mam's symptoms and the worry that these are causing you. Has she just been referred for a mammogram and possibly a biopsy, or has she been referred to the breast clinic? We are nearly all referred as urgent cases, so don't worry about this. The usual route is via the breast clinic and it is normal to be seen within 2 weeks of the doctor's referral. This can take a little longer in some parts of thecountry as a result of Covid, but not usually as long as 8 weeks.
If the consultant at the breast clinic decides that a mastectomy or biopsy are needed, they can usually arrange these pretty quickly. It might be a good idea to contact the GP again and ask where your mam was referred to and ask for a referral to the breast clinic, if this hasn't already been done.
I do hope that she manages to get seen sooner. Please keep in touch and let us know how she gets on. We are always here for both of you.
Hi jolamine, Thankyou for replying to my post. She has been referred for a mammogram and possibly a biopsy. I contacted the breast clinic who said I would need to contact 1st appointments who then told me she would have just over 7 weeks to wait. And I also checked with them that my mums letter was marked urgent and this was the case. I spoke again with the doctors medical secretary who also confirmed that 7 weeks was a bout right with the length of waiting time. I am going to call my mums gp again today to see what else can be done for her. Many many thanks for all your help. Best wishes michelle x
The other thing that you could do is to phone the hospital again and let them know that your mum is willing to accept any cancellations that come along.