Breast Lump

Hiya, 

I found a lump in my breast around two months ago and I have now had to letter calling me to a clinic. 

Please could someone let me know what to expect, all I know is that I'm seeing a nurse. When I asked over the phone the receptionist couldn't provide me anymore details. How long will I be there? What will happen? Quite nervous 

Also, I'm a student at university, should I apply for mitigation? I'm not sure what to do? I feel a little lost?

I'm thinking of the worst case scenario and that it is the c-word. I'm 19 so I've been told that it's unlikely but until I get a confirmation I don't want to just think it's nothing. 

Any advice in this situation is most appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

• Hiya, 

I found a lump in my breast around two months ago and I have now had to letter calling me to a clinic. 

Please could someone let me know what to expect, all I know is that I'm seeing a nurse. When I asked over the phone the receptionist couldn't provide me anymore details. How long will I be there? What will happen? Quite nervous 

Also, I'm a student at university, should I apply for mitigation? I'm not sure what to do? I feel a little lost?

I'm thinking of the worst case scenario and that it is the c-word. I'm 19 so I've been told that it's unlikely but until I get a confirmation I don't want to just think it's nothing. 

Any advice in this situation is most appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

• Hi bumblebee3

I'm sorry you are going through all this worry. I know how you feel,I'm new on my journey and it's such a worrying time when we feel a lump and automatically think of the C word. But statistics are on our side and most lumps are harmless they say,but be assured that they will investigate and let you know what you are dealing with. But until we are told that we have the all clear,I know it is so hard not to worry!

I will try to answer any questions,based on my recent experience but hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge may come along to help you.

When you say you have an appointment at a clinic,do you mean at your g.p surgery or a breast clinic? 

You're in my thoughts.

X

• Yes you're completely right! Thank you x

I visited the GP around two weeks ago and my letter for the clinic referral has just come through today. I have an appointment with them next Wednesday. 

• Ah,ok I see. What did the G.P say about the lump?

So I guess you are going to the breast clinic?

Mine was nearly 3 weeks ago,first I was examined by a doctor who marked the lump,he sent me around for an ultrasound and I had a core needle biopsy. I was then sent back around to the doctor who said they thought it was probably harmless,but wouldnt know for definite until the biopsy results. I was there for about 2 and a half hours in total,however for some ladies this can be longer if they feel you also need a mammogram (which they dont usually do in women under 40) or shorter if they feel you dont need a biopsy.

First and foremost though,you've done the right thing by going to the doctors and it will get sorted! As most ladies will tell you on here,the worst part is the waiting! Try not to drive yourself too crazy with the what ifs..easier said than done I know!

I'm here if you need to talk. Have you spoke to any friends or family about it? 

X

• The GP said it's likely benign as I'm 19, but said she can't confirm or deny anything so don't just go off what she said. She also said if it's benign it'll require surgery to remove it which freaked me out even more (though I don't think she had bad intentions). 

Thank you for sharing your experience, that's really helpful to read. While you're there what do you do to make the time go faster? Are you allowed to take a book or something? 

Yeah I can feel myself getting stressed which doesn't help with essays and assignments also due lol. I find myself touching the lump in the middle of the night too, feel like I'm going crazy trying to check if it's still there.  

Both my parents have been told, but I don't want to panic anyone. One of my friends knows too. I'm trying to keep it quiet until I know more

• Ah ok. Well try not to worry about having to have it removed just yet, take one thing at a time and see what they say at the clinic.

To be honest,the time at the clinic passed by really quick,you dont really notice how long you're in there,well I didnt anyway. But like with most hospital appointments, they dont usually run on time and there is all the waiting to be called in for the initial consultation,then the ultrasound,then the biopsy. So yes,take a book with you to keep distracted. But they will look after you I promise!

Feeling the lump must be normal,as I'm constantly feeling mine,seeing if it's still there or got smaller or bigger...plus feeling for lumps in my other boob and under my armpits!! I'm driving myself crazy too!

Try to keep busy,which I'm sure you are with university work anyway,but most importantly keep talking! Dont bottle it up,its such a worrying time. You aren't alone!

X

• Hi, 

I had a very similar situation to you, and complete understand how much anxiety it can cause! I'm 22 and am also a uni student. I found a lump in my breast around 2 months ago, went to the GP and was referred to the breast clinic. I also couldn't help but fear the worst, and was worrying what that would mean for my degree. 

I had my appointment at the clinic today, all the staff were friendly and made me feel at ease. I was there around 1hr15, but a lot of that was waiting around. I had a clinical exam with a doctor and nurse where they felt the lump and asked general questions, and then waited for an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed it was fibroadenoma (a benign breast lump that is common in young people) and that I needed no further treatment, a massive relief!! 

Although it is incredibly nerve racking, at our age it is really unlikely to be anything sinister and hopefully this will be over for you soon too! 

All the best xxx

• Hi! 

Thank you for getting in touch!! Thanks so reassuring, really glad you were told it's positive news. 

When were you told it's a fibrodenema? At the appointment or did they ring you? 

What happens now it's benign? Have you been told

you need surgery to remove it?

Sorry for all the questions x

• Hey, 

No problem, I know how confusing and stressful it can all be! 

They told me straight away during the ultrasound what it was (although I think sometimes they do still biopsy to confirm if unsure). They said because it's fairly small and not irritating me then there's no further action and I can just leave it be, a lot of fibroadenomas actually shrink naturally overtime so don't require surgery. 

Hope that helps! x

• Hi, I'm 18 and wanted to just ask something if that's okay. 

Did you accept/were you offered the referral at you GP appointment? Because I said no at the time but now I regret doing so, I was just nervous. It's been around 4 months since I had my appointment and I'm worried.

Hope everything went well!