Breast clinic referral

Hi,

I found a small lump in my breast a month ago, kept an eye on it, but it got bigger and it feels kind of prickly and a dull ache inside. I saw the GP a week ago and she could feel it too, so has referred me to the breast clinic, appointment is tomorrow.

I’m 36, I know statistically it’s not cancer. But my mum died of breast cancer after having it 3 times, and my gran and aunt also had breast cancer. 

I tend to be very matter of fact and not worry, but my breast is now swollen on the side and my armpit feels puffy (even though I can’t feel any lumps in my arm pit). So it’s making me rather stressed, I just want to know what it is!

Anyone else had similar symptoms or currently waiting to be seen?

• Hi my name is Lisa. I also have my first appointment tomorrow. I'm so nervous that tomorrow can change me and my kids life's. I've had a sore breast on and off. Gets swollen at times and feels heavy. I also have a lump under my arm with sore back and chest all my symptoms don't sound good to dr google so I'm praying it's wrong. Good luck for tomorrow x

• Hi Lisa,

Sounds like we are in a similar boat, I have pain in my back too, but don’t know if it’s related or not. Dr Google makes everything sound so bad. Chances are it’s nothing sinister, but it doesn’t stop the worry does it? 

Good luck tomorrow, let me know how you get on. 

Be

x

• Hi Lisa,

how did you get on today?

• Hi. All good. Under my arm is a lipoma. I got a ultrasound at my armpit to confirm but they didn't do one to my breast. He said my pain wasn't any concern when he felt boob area. Gave me a leaflet on breast pain that are all not cancerous concerns. I hope you have same outcome x

• oh that’s brilliant!

I had good news too, I had mammogram and ultrasound, they didn’t find any signs of malignancy but couldn’t tell me why I have a lump and why it’s swollen which is a little frustrating.

I’m so glad I can stop worrying and get some sleep!! I’m sure you feel the same.

I’ll be going for annual screening due to my family history.

Have a wonderful week. x

• Hi all,

In the beginning of December I felt a lump in my right breast and went to the doctors a few days later. I was examined by the nurse and she felt a lump so referred me to the symptomatic breast clinic. 

The registrar examined me and said that both breasts were equally lump and these are normal changes now I am in my 40's. He said both were symetrical and of no concern so rather than do a mammogram that day he would make a referral for one in about 6 to 8 weeks. 

I am concerned because it just feels different to me and I examine them on a regular basis. There was some tenderness a couple of weeks ago but that could be due to the number of times I was feeling the lump. 

There are a few other things going on which probably are unrelated but make me worry after speaking to a friend - slight itching in my right arm pit,  swelling in my right knee but no injury to explain it and a feeling of blockage in my right ear although no pain, infection nor excessive wax. 

Should I be concerned or put from my mind for 8 weeks? 

Vicky 

• Hi Vicky,

Obviously I can’t give you advise, but I do know it’s really hard not to worry.

You could call the mammogram clinic (or the clinic where you were seen already) and explain that you are worried and ask them if you can be seen sooner. You can tell them you are willing to except a last minute cancellation.

Failing that I’d speak to your GP about your concerns. 

We do tend to worry ourselves sick over these things, but try to be reassured that the breast clinic weren’t concerned  

Let us know how you get on. x

• I do wish they gave me a ultrasound on my breast to just to give me a right good mind set. I am still sore but I guess he knows what he's talking about x 

• KnitB

Thanks, I might just pay for the mammogram to get it sooner :-)

• That’s the thing, I think however much we worry we have to trust their judgement, they do it day after day. 

I think the only reason the decided to do a mammogram for me is my family history, genetics clinic had previously labelled me high risk. 

I’m still sore too, especially after the ultrasound.