Breast cancer stage 1

Hi,operation last Wednesday,lumpectomy of 7mm size and nodes all clear,what can I expect next and need to try and stop these tears,should I be happy with the results? So scared of going through Radiotherapy I expect...

im 64 years old just and love my family but this has knocked me for 6 and all confidence has gone.... 

• Hi jackie

A 7mm is tiny, mine was 7.6cm (in both breasts) >:) I say that not to compete but with the hope that you’ll find some comfort that they caught yours really early. 

Normal to have tears - it can be very overwhelming and frightening. What comes next depends on grade, whether it’s ER+/- PR+/- HER 2 +/-

radiotherapy is nothing to be scared of. It’s very doable with minimal side effects - all I got was itchy skin

I don’t know why you’re not confident - you’ve just kicked cancer’s ***. Give yourself some credit. You are a strong woman and you’ll get through this.

•  

Hi Jackie,

Welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry for the reason that you've had to join. I expect that you should soon be getting your pathology results following your lumpectomy. This should tell you a little more about your cancer. Try to bring someone with you when you return for these results. Some cancers are more aggressive than others and the other factors that Magpiemaggie has mentioned also have a bearing on the outcome.

It sounds as if you should be grateful that you have caught this early and, only needed a lumpectomy and not a mastectomy, although both are perfectly doable. It is also good news that your lymph nodes are clear. Please don't worry about your emotional state and the copious tears. This is perfectly normal. You will gradually begin to feel better about things, as you move forward with treatment and start to fight this. Unfortunately, it may take a little longer for your confidence to return, but it will eventually.

I have had two bouts of breast cancer 9 and 10 years ago. Mine was grade 1, mucinous cancer which was HER2 -. The first time I had a lumpectomy followed by Tamoxifen. Second time around, I had a double mastectmy followed by Letrozole.

Has your surgeon told you that you'll need radiotherapy? Don't worry until you know for sure, as some people only need hormone therapy. Here's hoping that you might be one of them.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi, Thank you for your reply,it’s alll happened so quick and I’m in the dark as to what questions I should be asking as it’s a minefield of letters and numbers!! Didn’t know there was so many different types of breast cancer until now..... It’s quite daunting and scary to me....
  •  

Hi Jackie,

It does happen quickly at this stage and, you feel as if you are just being dragged along with the flow. Don't worry too much about questions, they will become easier to come up with as you get a little further along your journey.

The diagnosis and all of its' associated letters and numbers are a bit overwhelming at first, but again you will soon come to terms with them. The main things that you need to know for now are the type of breast cancer you have, what grade it is, where it is, whether any lymph nodes are involved, whether or not it will respond to hormone therapy. You usually have all these facts to hand about 3 weeks after your surgery. You can also have genetic testing to see the likelikood of passing a gene on to your children and another test to determine the likelihood of the cancer returning.

This is a scary time, with so many unknowns. As you gradually get to grips with all that is happening, you will find it easier to cope with. Do you have a family member or friend who you can talk to openly and discuss your true feelings with? It is always helpful to have someone like this. It is also a good idea to bring someone with you to your appointments if you can.

You have been fortunate to catch this early eough that you should have a good outcome. Try to be as positive as you can about it all. This is so much easier to deal with if you can be.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine,

Thank you for your reply,yes it’s all a minefield at this time,but got to pick myself up I guess and get on with it.... Yes I have an amazing husband and a few very close friends who I can chat too about anything and everything but at the end of it all I feel so alone if that makes sense!!

Its my illness and all the words help but probably feeling low and need to kick myself up the bum!!! 

Off to hospital on Wednesday for dressings change but guess I will have to be patient to wait to see Consultant with results.... at least I know that it’s out and hadn’t gone into my lymph nodes,a slow growing 7mm one that has gone eh.Should be happy but why why why aren’t I??

• Hi Maggie.

What a bad day of tears today,really let them go....phoned Breast Cancer Nurse who was lovely and said it was normal!! 

Got my numbers from her re my biopsy results and she was surprised I hadn’t been given them before my operation,they are Grade 1 slow growing,ER+,PR - and HER - 

still not sure what they mean? Do you? 

Thanks for your reassurance 

•  

Hi Jackie,

I am glad to hear that you can talk to your husband and close friends and rely on them for support. No matter how they strive to help you through this, it is possible that they don't have much experience of cancer and that this is why you feel so alone.

You are still in shock and will feel as if you are the only person in the world who is struggling with this. You will be angry, afraid, tearful and very emotional. You will also be desperately trying to deny that this is happening to you. It is so difficult to accept this diagnosis and, you will still be at the stage where you hope that you will wake up from this nightmare and, all will be back to normal. Sadly, this is never going to happen. A cancer diagnosis changes all our lives and that of our loved ones.

It is never easy to find a positive slant on all this news which has turned your cosy world upside down, but the sooner you can do this the better you will cope with all that is happeing.

There are many people who are a lot further along their cancer journeys with high grade, aggressive cancers. Yes, you know that you should be happy with your lot, but it doesn't happen like that.  As I said in my first reply to you, you are fortunate, although you don't feel like this now. You have caught this early on and should have a good outcome. I lost my mother to secondary breast cancer 21 years ago. It is amazing just how many advancements have been made in diagnosis, treatment and aftercare since then. Instead of dying with cancer, many women are now living with breast cancer. I have found that there is just no comparison between the care that we have both received.

I hope that all goes well for your dressing change on Wednesday. Have you been told how long it will take to get your pathology results?

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi,

I’m sure the breast cancer nurse said 3 weeks? Didn’t think it would be that long as the biopsy results where back in just under 2 weeks....

Yes a big shock for us all,especially my husband,daughter and son,my life and world...

I am hoping that as it’s been caught early that it will be gone for good,or as the breast cancer nurse said today it’s gone but until I see the Consultant and see it in writing I guess it won’t sink in or does it ever completely go away? I’ve so much to keep living for and I want to be an old old lady if I can be.... 

Thsnk you for all your support and thinking of all of us fighting this cruel disease xxx

• Hi Jackie,

i was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in April and had a lumpectomy in may, it wasn’t in my lymph nodes either.  I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy and I can honestly say it was easy, I know probably some people struggle but I didn’t, I finished my course last week.  My hospital are trying out the new technique of breathe holding which keeps your heart down although I had never heard of this before. They did tell me that I am still ‘cooking’ and I have two patches of sunburnt like skin but it isn’t a problem. They also say the tiredness can hit you after you have finished your treatment but at the moment I’m fine.  Please please don’t worry about it, you will be fine, when you’re treatment finishes you get to ring the bell which sounds strange but you will feel emotional and thankful that it is all over.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can of any other help.  Sending love

• Hi Georgie,

im absolutely petrified about the radiotherapy,being in a room on my own,being high up by what it looks like and staying still....I know I’ll get a panic attack with it all and the machinery going round me....

li have bedn told I will have to go on medication,have you? They sound awful,with dreadful side effects!!

Would love to keep speaking with you as you have just been through it..

JackieK