Breast cancer scare! is it likely at 17

Hi, I'm 17 and i found a small fatty like lump that i can easily move a couple weeks ago. at the time when i found it i didnt think that much because it was just a week before my period was due and i am a hyprocondriact. My period came lst the week but the lump didnt leave and its been  a week since. I'm terrified to tell my mum cause i dont want her to worry, my sister had cancer (not breast cancer) as a kid and my friends mum just passed because of it. Im terrified . we are going on a family holiday next week and i dont know if i should tell my mum and dad or wait til we come back, but im scared it could get worse.

Any help/advice would be appreciated please i'm terrified

• Hi there ...

Firstly please don't panic... most lumps in every case are benign or fatty tissue etc ...and breast cancer at your age is really really rare ... but not impossible... 

Saying that all lumps need looking at ...so go on just ask mum to make an appointment ... you could wait till after hols or get one for when you come back or now if you need some reassurance... but tell your mum as she'll be sad if you go through this worry and not tell her ...

Fingers crossed all's o.k ... Chrissie xx

• Hey,

I’m 24 and I had a scare earlier this year with similar symptoms. I got all worked up and went to my doctors where I was referred for a hospital appointment. During the appointment, they did a quick ultrasound  scan where they instantly told me that it was non-cancerous, then went into a second room where a doctor examined me and concluded that it was a fibroadenoma- basically just a lump made of normal tissue and is common in young adults. No action was needed and this instant diagnosis gave me so much relief- it’s really not something to put off! Hope this helps x

• Hi Chrissie:)

Thank you for your response, in moments like this i panic and get in over my head but thank you so much for your advice!

i really appreciate it!

• HI:)

Thank you so much for your advice i really appreciate it!

i hope i can pick your brains for a couple of mins

how long did you wait to go to a doctor, i have a family holiday in 4 days for a week do you think it will be okay til i get back?

Does the lump go away or do they need to operate on it? Did the lump ever cause you pain i know if i apply alot of pressure it does but other than that i dont notice it , where did you find yours , i found my lump on my left breast on the bra line ( i know everyones ifferent im just worried) sorry for picking you brains!!:D

• Hi! I found it on a sunday so called first thing monday morning and got a normal doctors appointment the same day after work. She sent off for a referral, I received a letter in the post telling me when my hospital appointment was, I think it was about 10 days later that I had my hospital appointment. 

I still have the lump and check it regularly which isnt ideal, but they said it would be doing more harm to remove it as it would be to leave it as often they stay as they are or shrink. He said he would remove it if it got any bigger or stuck out of my skin but it wouldn’t be necessary. I told my mum and she had exactly the same thing when she was 21, and they removed hers- it was a relief to tell her rather than bottling it up! Mine is also the bra line and I can only feel it if I press firmly. Hope this helps! X