Breast Cancer diagnosis

Hi 

My mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer for the 2nd time (1st time was in 1996).     

She has been unwell really since she broke her hip in October 2022.   In December 2022 she was readmitted as an emergency as it was found she was bleeding internally.    An endoscopy revealed she had a gastric lesion.    There was a lot of focus on this as they were thinking malignancy.      A CT was done in December where incidental findings of 2 nodules were found.....one in breast and one in kidney.      Nothing was done at that point for these as everyone seemed to be focusing on the gastric lesion.

Fast forward to now, after 3 endoscopies it is found that the lesion is benign thankfully, but she has now been picked up by the breast team and is now confirmed with breast cancer in right breast.      There is cancer in right axillary lymph nodes, as well as the left.      She has also been complaining about a swollen lump near her hip.   

She had another CT recently which has confirmed that her kidney is also looking abnormal, so had an MRI of the kidney on Friday.

To add on top of this, she also has a diagnosis of Basal Cell Carcinoma of skin on her shoulder and we're seeing the Dermatologist again on Wednesday.     

• I'm so sorry to hear about everything your mum has been through and that she may now be contending with 3 different types of cancer.

I can't begin to imagine what you and your mum must be going through at the moment but our community are here for you and hopefully some of our members who have been in similar situations will be along soon to share their experiences and advice.

If either of you would like to talk things through with one of our cancer nurses, do give them a call on 0808 800 4040. Their phone lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m -5p.m and they'll do all they can to support you and answer any questions you may have at this time.

We're thinking of you Slinky and sending all our strength and support your way.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Steph

Sorry for the late response!

Mum has had more scans, MRI breast and MRI kidney, along with a PET scan.

These have picked up that not only has mum got right breast cancer, she also has cancer cells in multiple lymph nodes, kidney and colon.   The PET also picked up further "hot spots" on her abdomen surface, which on inspection appear to be further skin cancer episodes.

This latest news has knocked my brother and I sideways as no one was expecting it.   The Breast Consultant said mum was one of the most complex cases she's dealt with.

We are now waiting to see the Urology and Gastro teams.    No one has talked of any treatment plans, but I'm not daft.     I work in the NHS with Radiology background.

It has been less than 2 years that we lost my dad after a tragic accident at home so everything is so raw.