Breast Cancer

Hi  just wanted to share this in case it helps anyone .  I found a lump in March went to GP and was referred to breast clinic as she wasn’t sure if it was a cyst. The clinic gave me two mammograms, biyopsy and a scam, waited two weeks came back with cancer was totally shocked but I am a very positive person and thought okay I need to deal with this . They advised me that I would need a mastectomy on my left breast , which I had a month ago , went back three weeks ago for my results with the tissue and was shocked as the cancer along with pre cancer cells it was 9cm long .... so glad I went when I did !!   It was stage 1-2 and it was invasive ductal carcinoma.   They are advising me that I need only 1 week of radiotherapy now. I think I have been very lucky . 

I have coped well recovery was good , I am very impatient and want everything to recover quickly. The only pain I have had is from my scar which I presume it’s knitting together with tightness in my back ? 

Thanks S x

• Hi Suzy,

Thank you for sharing your story here. It's always helpful for people to see this and to hear about others' experiences. I'm very glad to hear you've coped well and that recovery has been good.

I'm sure your post will be useful for others searching the forum in future.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, your story sounds very similar to mine I found a lumped May went to my GP who along with the Dr in the breast clinic was pretty convinced it was a cyst or Fibroadenoma. Had a mammogram/ultrasound and biopsy and 2 weeks ago was told it was Stage 1 Ductal invasive carcinoma. I have actually got 2 lumps so the other was biopsied and I get the results of that one tomorrow. If that is also Cancer I will have treatment of chemotherapy/ radiotherapy  and then mastectomy but if the 2nd is benign they will do a lumpectomy and then chemotherapy/radiotherapy. Praying the 2nd is benign but I have a plan either way so I feel more settled about it. 

Im also starting the IVF process next week to try and get some eggs before I have any treatments. 

It sounds like you’ve coped with this really well and good to hear your recovery is coming along nicely :) 

Thanks for sharing your story it’s good to hear positives from someone that has been there 

xx

• Hi

Nice to hear from you . I had two lumps the second one was picked up through a scan and also pre cancer cells were picked up through ct scan.  I was offered a hormone treatment for 6 months but would then get a mastectomy, I took the decision to just have the mastectomy right rather than wait, I am glad I did ! 

Have they told you what stage yours is ?

My full results came back both low risk and I am only getting 1 week of radiotherapy which I can’t believe how lucky I was. 

Why have you to get chemo and radiotherapy? 

All the best with your IVF

i am always a positive person and it’s a great healer in itself.

All the best

Susan x

• I totally agree, positivity defintely plays a big part in this.

The consultant last week said from what they knew it was stage 1, grade 3. I have to have the full treatment as mine isn’t feeding off any hormones it’s triple negative so tablets aren’t an option for me. 

I think i would of just gone straight for the mastectomy too. You just want rid as soon as possible don’t you! I asked if I could just have a mastectomy without even checking the other lump as I was just thinking I want it gone! But the consultant said defintely not as he wasn’t prepared to do that if I only need a lumpectomy. At least tomorrow I will know what the plan will be and can focus. 

Your story is so positive and you sound amazing! 

XX

• Aww right okay , fingers crossed for you tomorrow as you say at least you will know what the next step is for you !   I was the same always focusing on the next step and preparing myself but knowing I would get through it.

The care and quickness from the NHS has been fantastic.  The speed in everything I went through was amazing I think it was because of the Covid I was dealt with so quickly as the ward I was in only 4 people . 

That’s what I was like just wanted it gone , wasn’t bothered that I couldn’t get reconstruction right away , they say it can be 6 /12 months b4 I get that. 

Let me know how it goes , you sound positive like me . 

Take Care 

xxx

• you know I was thinking that. It’s saying on the news about how people are waiting so long but I literally went to my GP on the Monday afternoon- got a phonecall Tuesday morning  to give me an appointment at the breast clinic Thursday morning and that’s  when I had my Biopsy and results a week later. And they were convinced that mine was benign so it wasn’t like they were thinking this needs looking at straight away. It’s been fantastic really and I only went to the IVF clinic Monday and they have told me I can tell the consultant today that I’m good to go early next week so even that couldn’t be faulted at all! 

Yeah im thinking reconstruction can wait too.. I mean I’d like it done but if it can’t be done it’s not the priority at the moment. 

I do try to find the positives! Although sometimes it does get a bit Waaahh!!! But I have faith which helps a lot

Hope your ok

xx

• Thanks for the positive story. I got my biopsy results today and the lump in my right breast is cancerous. On the plus side it's slow growing and doesn't seem to have spread. The tumour is over 5cms so I have to have a mastectomy, which I've asked them to delay by a couple of weeks as they should be doing reconstructive surgery again in July. I think they're going to start me on hormone therapy. I'll have to wait for further tests when they do the mastectomy to find out olif I need chemo but there's a good chance I may not need it due to the tumour being slow growing, so fingers crossed. 

Thanks again for sharing your story, it's good to hear of positive outcomes! Good luck with the rest of your recovery xxx

• Hi 

Fingers crossed for you your results come back good and you only need radiotherapy. Mine both came back low risk.   I was asked if I wanted hormone treatment for 6 months but couldn’t guarantee when the reconstruction would be avaible to me they said 6 months to a year couldn’t it that long knowing what I had so just went for the mastectomy, the operation it’s self wasn’t that bad I was in and out the same day , movement in my left side is good , I did a lot of exercise before it may of helped . 

Starting my radiotherapy in July 5 days of it and then I am done , just the reconstruction hopefully soon. 

Hope you get on well and everything comes together for you soon x

• Hi Suzy

Just a little update - I got my results yesterday. The second lump is also the same thing so plan is .. I start my IVF drugs next week, then as soon as my eggs are out beginning of July  I’ll have a CT scan( they don’t want to do it before this as they said the radiation is not good for the ovaries) then Chemotherapy for 6-8 cycles more than likely every 3 weeks then Mastectomy... then Christmas and breathe! 

Hope you ok 

xx

• Hi 

lovely to hear from you ,  fingers crossed on your IVF you have something to focus on apart from your treatment . I hope it all goes you way .   

Are they trying to shrink your lump ? That why your getting chemo , radiotherapy and then mastectomy? 

As just got mastectomy right away without any treatment then getting 5 days of radiotherapy, I now think I am very lucky compared to others and to have caught this so early 

You have a journey ahead of you but you will do this .

Good luck and Look after yourself

Take care xxx