Breast Cancer

I have been to the hospital today and the Dr is sure I have breast cancer. I am so scared. I have to wait ten days for the results. It is going to be a long ten days

• Hi Merlin, I had the same experience last year - the doctor at the breast clinic said my lump was suspicious from her examination and the mammogram/ultrasound. So I wasn't surprised when I went back 3 weeks later to be told it was cancer. But I was also relieved because the surgeon explained everything clearly and said it was treatable even though it was a fast growing and aggresive cancer and it had spread to the lymph nodes. I have since had chemotherapy and an MRI shows that there is no residual cancer! I still need to have surgery, but to all intents and purposes, my cancer has been "cured". So, take heart. You'll be fine. Your team will take the best care of you. And the treatments available these days are amazing. I know the next ten days will seem like an eternity and you will feel anxious. Try to keep busy and distracted, go for walks - they will do wonders for your mood - and stay away from Dr Google, he will send you down some dark rabbit holes. I would also strongly recommend keeping fit and active, eating healthily, etc from now on. That will really help you cope with treatment, both physically and mentally. Lots of useful information here:

www.cancer.org.au/.../every-cancer-patient-should-be-prescribed-exercise-medicine

I wish you all the best. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. And I hope you will come back and let us know how you get on.

Amy x

• Thank you Amy for responding and your message. That sound great and I hope you are and will continue to stay healthy and well