Breast Cancer

In January my lovely mum passed away sadly my dad couldn't see her whilst she was in hospital due to him being in a rehab ward so her passing was very hard they had been married 61 years. In February I had my breast screening app and 2 weeks ago got a call asking me to go in for further checks. I saw the consultant had a scan, biopsy and Thursday had the confirmation I have breast cancer I'm 55. I'm booked in for surgery on 21st and will have to wait 3 weeks after for result of lymph biopsy then find out if I need radiotherapy or chemo. My partner is on the 2week wait colorectal pathway and as you can imagine we are feeling like someone is trampling all over us. I'm not angry, or emotional although I'm sure that will change whilst waiting for the results. 2021 so far has been horrendous for us but the only way is to remain positive and draw strength from family and friends. 

•  

Hi Bellelouise,

It certainly sounds as if this is your family's 'annus horribilis'. I am so sorry to hear of all you have been through and are still going through and, I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your mum.

I had just lost my own mum to breast cancer when I was diagnosed. That was 11 years ago. Since then I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer, a lumpectomy and a double mastectomy, but I am still leading a busy and fulfilling life. I sincerely hope that you get to do the same. Have you been told what type and grade of breast cancer you have? Fortunately, it is not long until 21st, so you'll soon have your surgery behind you. Treatment is not the easiest, but it's all 'doable'.

You've really hit the double whammie with your partner as well. I sincerely hope that he doesn't get a cancer diagnosis too and that the cause of his symptoms are attributed to something less serious. You will find this forum a great support as you start your journey. We are all here for the bad days as well as the good ones and many of us have experienced exactly what you are going through.

I'm delighted to hear that you are not angry or emotional, although this may change from time to time along your journey. You are right to remain positive if you can, as this is what will get you through all of this.

Please keep in touch and remember that we are always here for you.

KInd regards,

Jolamine xx