Breast cancer

Hi all, first time here. My mom was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer at the end of March this year. I'm so scared. Her biopsy showed that there was no sign of cancer in the lymph nodes but as it's grade 3 it grows quicker and I'm so scared that it's going to spread. They also couldn't determine whether it was complete her2 neg or pos. Giving the covid 19 situation there is a delay on everything from appointments to surgery. (Already had 2 initial appointments cancelled). I'm only 25 and super close to my mom. She had her MRI last Monday and results are in and being discussed with the MDT team. She will be having a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation but as she has other health issues (high blood pressure, kidney stones ) it's making me extra worried. Can anybody share their stories so I don't feel so alone in this situation and is there really any hope ? :'( thank you.

Tee

• Hey Tee! 

I'm so sorry to hear your news for your mom. Mine is going through the same. She has grade 3 breast cancer, it was stage one. She has had her lumpectomy and is now done 3 rounds out of 4 for chemotherapy so we hope she won't have to do anymore. She then starts into radiation. 

I wouldn't worry at all, the grade isn't as severe as the stage it is at. She will probably have to do a test called the Oconotype test which will determine the reoccurrance rate of it. The lower the score the better, the scores range from 1-100. My moms was 27, anything over 25 means chemotherapy, but 27 showed a low risk of reoccurrence please God. 

I know that everything is a worry but please do try and stay positive. There are some lovely inspirational ladies in this chat who have been through it all and I'm sure they will help inspire you to realize that everything will be okay! 

Keep us updated on your mom, I'm sure she's a tough cookie! 

all the best xx

• Thank you so much for your reply. I am also so sorry about your mom. I feel like it's such hard times right now and it's a struggle to stay positive. My mom had results from her mri today and it wasn't overall good. Her initial lump still measures 12mm but they have found something around the lump which measures 8cm but they aren't sure what it is. They've also found another suspicious mass in the right breast this time which measures 2.7cm. The doctor said he isn't too worried about it but they will need to scan it and possibly have another biopsy to determine what it is. They have prescribed her letrozole for now but still haven't decided upon a full treatment plan although now she has the option to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy. Initially we were told just lumpectomy. Not sure how to feel right now about this all but she's going for another screening tomorrow, maybe this will give a bit of clarity. 
    thank you for reading my post it really means a lot. Take care stay safe 

Tee x

• Hello lovely!

I'm someone who is starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with my own cancer journey. (My treatment ends in Nov but I will be taking medication for at least 5 years.

I had (wow that feels amazing to say now... 'had') the same grade cancer as your mum. Mine had however spread to the lymph nodes and mine is her2 positive. I started off with chemo sept-dec last year, had surgery in Feb and have recently finished radiotherapy. So if there's anything, anything at all you want to know please let me know. I understand that feeling of loneliness totally. I feel incredibly lucky that the majority of my treatment happened before this god awful coronavirus! I can only empathise with you both about how you feel about having cancelled appointments.

From the perspective of someone who has very recently had cancer, I'd say get knowledgeable as soon as you can when you have the answers to the tests etc. I'd also say just simply listen to your mum no matter what happens. She may well feel incredibly protective of you and initially hide her feelings and emotions but be patient with her if she chooses to handle things this way and eventually she may talk to you about things you have no idea about. This experience will make a closer bond even closer, unbreakable.

With regards to the other health issues your mum has all I can say is be the strongest you've ever been and put your trust in the doctors and nurses. They are experienced and will do all they can for your mum. Your mum will not have been the only person they have treated with ie high blood pressure through cancer. They monitor you extremely closely and there's always someone you can call night or day with any concerns.

Lastly, look after yourself and never feel bad about whatever form that comes in or looks like.

X

• Hi thank you so much for your reply and sorry my reply is so late I have just been struggling a little in this weird time we're all living in. I hope you are doing well. I try do read up as much as possible about breast cancer but I think sometimes I read too far and too deep and end up scaring myself silly over it. Me and my mom are super close and we've always had the strongest bond as I'm an only child and we talk about everything together she is so strong she handles everything that's thrown at her so well but I find that I'm struggling more than she is with the diagnosis. It's been a rough year as my grandma was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last April and me and her are also close. She's been in and out of hospital  since , sometimes so poorly We didn't know if she would come out of hospital. She's gone through so much, perforated gallbladder,  blockages in the bowel all sorts and me and my mom have been so strong for her. My grandma is still alive just over a year later and is stronger than she's been before. She has good and bad days but she's so grateful for how me and my mom have helped her get back to her normal self. It's just sad that my mom now has to deal with her diagnosis now after the year she's had. 
    My mom had another ultrasound and biopsy done last week to find out what the shadowing around her lump was so we are awaiting results of that. The shadowing that was found in her right breast thankfully was just normal tissue and is nothing to worry about so that is some light at the end of the dark tunnel. 
    I am so glad you can finally say 'had' , I hope my mom can get to that stage also. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, it's really appreciated. 

stay safe x

Tee xx