Breast cancer

hellooo...

my mum was diagnosed with breast “c” a month back with 3cm. She’s  did the operation of mastectomy. After 5 days she was discharge and back home. In between while waiting for the results, she had some bleeding at her bag which was normal according to her surgeon. 

Results was out which was good according to her surgeon. ER positive, PR positive, HER2 positive ki67 5%. And she fall in stage 2a. The oncologist gave her an option and living %. In 5 years her living % of 93% if she never continues with any treatments. 94%, if she do chemotherapy or on hormone tablets and if she did both, chemotherapy + hormone, the living % increases to 96%. But if she take the hormone, it may lead her to some side effects which may also cause bone cancer or osteoporosis. 

Im very confused wat to do now and was wondering if Ayurvedic will work out? 

• Hi kiranfra

I'm not a doctor, and being a man I'm less likely to get breast cancer (although it does happen to men)

If seems to me that you've not been given sufficient information to make an assessment. I think it boils down to these two questions:

1. What is the chance of hormone therapy causing significant side effects.  For me, this risk would need to be pretty low to be worthwhile, given that the difference between 93% and 96% is fairly small. 

2. What is the treatment and prognosis if a relapse occurs. 

I think you need to find this out before your mother can make a truly informed decision. 

As for Ayurvedic medicine, it's worth remembering that NO alternative medicine can cure cancer better than conventional medicine, and most systems, including Ayurvedic can't cure it at all. That said, there are some complementary systems that work well alongside conventional medicine, and personally I find acupuncture useful. Acupuncture won't cure cancer, but in my experience it is very useful in helping one to cope with having cancer. It is also more easily available than Ayurvedic. I think this is worth consideration. 

• Hello and welcome to Cancer Chat kiranfra. 

I'm sorry to hear that your mum has breast cancer, but it's good to hear that she's being treated and the outcomes are sounding positive. 

It's totally understandable to be feeling confused after being given all that information and, as telemando says, it's a good idea to get answers to the questions he's mentioned before making any decisions. 

There's some information on our website about Ayurvedic medicine, which I hope you'll find helpful. It's important to note that some herbal medicines might interact with treatment your mum is already having, such as cancer drugs or radiotherapy. Some might even contain harmful substances. Please do check with your mum's doctor first before trying herbs or medicines.

With best wishes,

Helen
    Cancer Chat moderator