Breast Cancer

Hi I am 63 8 weeks ago I had a pacemaker/defibrillator fitted for A Fib and Heart Failure.
Tuesday after a routine mamamagram 3 weeks earlier.  I was told I have invasive ductal cancer grade 2. It is  1.6cm and is ER positive. I am still in shock and feeling pretty fed up, 18 months ago I was walking 6 plus miles a day with my Border Collie now I have Heart Failure and cancer.

I am having surgery on 16th December, I can have a mastectomy or a lumpectomy, they said if they do a lumpectomy and find I need further surgery I can go back in, but if I go for a mastectomy and a lumpectomy would have not been needed they can not put it back.  I am so confused I want it out!!!!!  I know if I go for a mastectomy I will be a little lopsided I am a 38DD, has anybody had both taken off when one side is cancer free. I don't want reconstruction surgery. 

Not sure how my pacemaker will affect my surgery 

Help I am so confused. X

• My aunt had one breast removed and has a bra with one boob fitted in it she's 63 and the bra looks like she hadn't had breast removed I hope all goes well for you and will be thinking of you x

• Hi

What a horrid situation. I had breast cancer last year and opted for lumpectomy, it meant minimum surgery with only one night in hospital and quicker recovery time. However its a personal decision and only one you can make. I think the medical team will have taken your heart condition into account when offering you surgery. x

• Hi

Sorry you find yourself here. I was offered a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, I opted for the mastectomy. It turned out that if I had gone for lumpectomy I would have been back in for the mastectomy anyway. It's a tough decision to make, there's a lovely lady on here [@Jolamine]‍  who suggested writing down the pros and cons of both, this might be able to help you reach your decision. Sending you a big hug. X

• Hi Norma56

I was diagnosed on 19th September and was told I need a lumpectomy and lymph node removal.  Fast forward to now and I'm waiting for mastectomy date and further treatment plan.  I'm 32D and cannot have reconstruction surgery at the same time so will have it next year.  I've been told that a prothesis will be best once all has healed.

It is a shock to be in this situation, but good luck!!

Rosie

• Hi Rosie, hope you get a date soon and they don't keep you waiting to long. 
    That is what I am worried about going for a lumpectomy then needing further surgery. With my heart problems and pacemaker/defibrillator fitted going to cause some problems.

Nobody mentioned reconstruction to me,although I would not want it.

Norma

• Hi woolylamb,

As I have said below that is what I am worried about. I hope you are now on the road to recovery. What breast cancer did you have?
    sending hugs xx

• Hi

I has invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 3 at initial diagnosis, downgraded to 2 after my mastectomy.  

im getting there thank you. 
    x

• What treatment are you having? Glad after mastectomy you were downgrade to 2. Think we have the same cancer. So much to think about, will write pros and cons down.

take care x

•  

Hi Norma,

Welcome to the forum.

I was just turned 60 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. That was 10 years ago and, I was advised to have a lumpectomy for grade 1 Mucinous Carcinoma. The post surgery pathology result stated that the surgeon didn't get clear enough margins, but he assured me that he had realised this at the time and had taken an additional sliver, so there was no need for further surgery. I took Tamoxifen after this. Six months after surgery I discovered a larger lump in my other breast. My surgeon barely looked at this breast and refused to do any tests on it, as he said that it was benign.

I refused to have radiotherapy, as I told my surgeon that I saw no point in treating one breast while ignoring the other. This left us with a Mexican Stand-off.  After 11 months, I was eventually referred to see the surgeon in charge of all the surgeons in the area. He dressed me down for 1½ hours, telling me that they couldn't have patients determining what treatment they had. I explained that I wasn't asking for any particular treatment, but thought that I had come to see him for a second opinion.

His attitude changed immediately and, he took me down to a consultation room where he found the lump and immediately sent me for a mammogram, an ultrasound and a biopsy. Fortunately the original surgeon was right and the lump was benign. This new surgeon kindly offered to take over my care if I wanted a change of surgeon. I was happy to do this. However, 3 months later I found another lump in the original breast. Further tests revealed that this was a second primary Mucinous Carcinoma, grade 1 HER-. This was unexpected, as I was told that my type of cancer wasn't very invasive and that all of the cancer had been removed leaving me cancer clear. I then started to take Letrozole for 6 years and stopped taking this in July 2017.

I have problems with anaesthetics and have previously stopped breathing on the operation table. As a result of this, I now have to stay awake until they get the camera down my throat without coughing - not easy! I also have very high blood pressure. These complications make any surgery dangerous for me and, I don't want to undergo any more operations than absolutely necessary as a result. I now have to have fibre-optic intubaton for any surgery.

There are a number of considerations when deciding between a lumpectomy and a mastectomy. I found that the best way to decide was to draw up a list for and a list against both. Having done this, I opted for a double mastectomy and, my surgeon was in agreement with this. I couldn't have reconstruction, so am now as flat as a pancake in front. Still, I manage with a variety of different prostheses for different occasions.

If you are left lopsided after surgery, the surgeon can reduce your good breast to a comparible size, although you may not need to do this. If you are not having reconstruction, you can order a prosthesis in your original bust size and nobody will be any the wiser. I was a 44C and have had no problems with prostheses.

I thought that your consultant would have discussed the impact of your pacemaker on surgery. This is something that you should discuss with your care team before you go for your operation. If you don't have another appointment before then, phone your breast care nurse and ask her how they will cope with this. As far as I know they will monitor you carefully at your pre-med appointment, but I am sure that it will all turn out well for you.

Personally, I have felt much more reassured since I had my mastectomies, as I feel that I have taken as much as possible away. I know that there is always the possibility of recurrence, but this is something that anyone with a cancer diagnosis has to live with.

My mum died from secondary breast cancer 10 years before I was diagnosed. Treatment back then was horrendous. Fortunately, there is no comparison between the diagnosis, treatment and after care that I have received and that which she experienced. People are now living with breast cancer instead of dying from it.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

I shall be thinking of you on 16th December.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx 

• Hi Norma

I think the drs will suggest what is best for you.  A mastectomy operation takes longer than lumpectomy so it may well be with your other medical conditions they will prefer a lumpectomy in your case as a first choice.

I do hope your medical team liaise well with you and you get through this difficult time in your life.

Rosie