Breast cancer

I was diagnosed with grade 2 estrogen sensitive breast cancer. Just recovering from a single mastectomy. Had results and hasn't spread to lymph nodes and don't need any chemotherapy or radiotherapy just need to to take Letrozole for 5 years. 

Appointment was all a bit of a whirlwind so I am now left with questions. I guess the one is does this mean I am now completely cancer free?  Or is it classed as remission? 

• Hello Wendy5665,

It's great to hear that you don't need chemotherapy or radiotherapy and the Letrozole should help reduce the risk of the cancer coming back. The information on Letrozole here may be useful for you and if you have any questions the best people to speak to would be your medical team. Our cancer nurses are also available if you ever wish to speak to someone. You can call them on the freephone 0808 800 4040. Lines are open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

Best wishes to you,

Moderator Anastasia

• Hi there

I was diagnosed earlier this year with Grade 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma ER+PR+HER- (no spread to lymph nodes) and am on a similar drug Anastrozole.  These drugs block the estrogen so that the cancer cells (if still present) cannot grow.  We should also be aware of recurrence in our remaining breast.  My experience was similar to yours in that I did not need chemo or RT and because of COVID I just had a telephone call with my consultant for results.  If you are unsure of anything or concerned then just email or call your breast care nurse.  Will you be having reconstruction at some point?  I have opted to stay flat on that side so hopefully no more surgery for me.  Take care x

•  

Hi Wendy,

A very warm welcome to our forum. I am delighted to hear that your surgery is behind you now and that your results were so good. You will be delighted to hear that you don't need chemo or radiotherapy and just the Letrozole. 

If you still have questions wrire these down then phone your breast care nurse and she should be able to answer most of them. I always draw up a new list prior to each consultation, as it is all too easy to forget something important in the heat of the moment.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Jolamin xx