BOWEL CANCER

For about the last 7 weeks I have been struggling with alternating constipation and diarrhoea and one big bowel movement a day.  I am going for a colonscopy in a couple of weeks and I am fearing the worst.  I have had a CA 125 done, CA 19.9 and CEA all within normal limits.  I also have had blood tests done kidney and liver function were normal as was thyroid function.  I also tested negative for cealic.  I am a very anxious person. No blood in stool.  Rectal examination was done and it was fine.  Tummy was felt and wass told it was soft.    I was wondering does anyone have similar experiences. 

• Hello and thank you for your post,

I can appreciate the worry you have.  The colonoscopy is the best way to look inside the bowel to see what could be the matter, hopefully nothing serious will be found.

I realise that waiting for tests to be done and then for the results can be difficult. I am afraid that there is no way around this and no amount of checking your symptoms with those that other people have will help you know more about your own situation.

I hope you have support from people around you. Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Caroline