Bowel blockage

Just back home from hospital after yet another painful episode, They always commence at night which see's me fleeing to the local A and E in the wee small hours.The latest was my fifth over a period of eight years since having a stoma reversal following colon and liver cancer, and thankfully the bowel has always sparked back into action within 48 hours..l appear to have a problem with my nasal passage insomuch that it is impossible to pass a tube through into the stomach to drain off the trapped fuids, so l have to resort to vomiting to release the pressure. l have now been referred to ENT to see if anything can be done to alleviate this problem for any future episode that may necessitate more urgent intervention.

l wonder if there are other long term recoveree's that also suffer similar problems, and more specifically how big a problem this is.. At first glance it is easy to think that the healing process will overcome these issues, but that certainly does not appear to be the case. The one thing that has become clear to me is that the bowel does not appreciate surgical intervention leaving adhesions and kinks behind.

l also wonder if this less of an issue for stoma patients, although l remember having at least two incidents whilst in receipt of mine.

At least l have become aware of a oncoming episode and move a little quicker towards help which hopefully leads to a faster .return to stability, but it always seems to hit when l have been enjoying a longer period of edging back towards my prior normality, almost as if getting back to the plateau of normality is not in the rules of the game l am now engaged with, a small grumble to go with the larger one from my stomach until it eventually settles down again.

Still the sun is shining upon the Hebrides, so its time to get up and at em once more and continue to enjoy and make the most of the second chance l have been given, never a dull moment if you make it so,

Take care all,

David

• Hello gruntifen,

Thank you for posting. What a beautiful part of the world you're in! 

I'm sorry to hear of these difficultites.

Of course ENT will be best to answer your questions, but I do hope your next appointment goes ok and that a solution can be found and you can always take a pad and pen to make notes if this helps. 

All the best and take care,

Moderator Anastasia