Bleeding for 4 months and pelvic pain

I am 50, not menopausal but starting bleeding very heavy in mid November.  It only lasted a couple of days then became a light period and spotting.  It’s now March 21 and I have been bleeding for about 17weeks!  Most days it’s just light spotting still it’s always there and I have cramps and pelvic pain.  

Worried.  Anynody else experience this?  Doctors can’t find anything wrong. Scan in November was normal but scan last week showed 2 small (possible fibroids).  Do fibroids grow that fast?  Thanks 

• I'm sorry about your symptoms Sherlock and that you haven't had a reply to your post yet but now that I've replied I'm sure other members who have had similar issues will be along soon to share their thoughts and experiences with you.

Your doctors will be able to tell you more about fibroids but our cancer nurses are just a phone call away if you'd like to have a quick chat with them about this as well. They can be contacted on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope you're able to find out what's going on soon Sherlock and that it isn't anything sinister.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you very much for your reply. I have insisted they do a smear test this week. I was told it’s not due for another year but with my symptoms I feel it’s important.  The pain is gradually getting worse but the bleeding has eased.  Thanks again 

• HI

I"ve been in a similar boat.  I'm a little younger but started having pelvic pain and spotting between periods last summer.   My periods were also super heavy.   My GP sent me for an ultrasound which showed a complex hemmoraghic cyst on my left ovary.   I had a follow up scan 8 weeks later and it showed that cyst was gone but I had one on my right ovary.  I had a third ultrasound that showed it was still there.  Two weeks ago I started spotting, and then it turned to full on bleeding (my period had literally ended a week prior) and I was in a lot of pain.  I finally went to the ER and the doc told me I have multiple complex hemmoraghic cysts, scarring, fibroids and an enlarged uterus and that I needed to see a gynecologist.   He indicated I'd need an endometial biopsy.I see the gyne on Thursday

For now the bleeding has stopped but I'm still in pain and feel awful.    I'm terrified of what they may find.   It's been going on for 7 months now and I feel like that's too long.  I know fibroids are usually non cancerous.  I think they can show up anytime and sometimes go away on their own.   Sometimes you need surgery to remove them.     Fibroids can cause bleeding and pain for sure.  Good luck and keep us posted!

• Mackenm thank you for your reply and good luck to you also.   I finally stopped bleeding on March 19th. 

I was bleeding since November. 

I had sex with my husband a few nights ago and started spotting again after. 

I hope you get a good doctor that listens to you. My experience with my Gynaecologist was not good.  He was happy to say there is nothing wrong with me. He said I don’t have fibroids even though they showed up in a scan. 

Listen to your body. Fight for the care you deserve and stay positive s