Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Bladder cancer

21 Jul 2019 17:11

Hi all

I was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer back in March 2019 after which I had TURBT followed up by a PET scan and other scans .

I started having GEM CISPLATIN chemo and had a bad reaction very low potassium and sodium , constant nausea very loose  bowels, violent head pain . Was given pottasium and sodium for 2 days on constant drip , which seemed to sort the problem.

Oncologist changed my  chemo to GEM CARBO although I have not had head pain I have felt very sick to the point of being sick , I have to go for chemo treatment tomorrow hope won’t feel as bad fingers crossed.

has anyone else had side effects from chemo and how did you get over it 

Bladder cancer

21 Jul 2019 17:58 in response to Jude1

I am sorry you are having such bad effects from your chemo when my husband was having bad side effects a kept saying to him this is for your good and it will soon be finished if you could keep these thoughts in your mind you will CE through this and my husbands tumours shrunk considerably and he is stable at present thinking of you x

Bladder cancer

22 Jul 2019 17:01 in response to Jude1

Hello and thanks for posting on the forum,

I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling sick with your treatment.

It is important that you mention this to your doctor before you have your next course of treatment.  There are different anti sickness drugs that they can give.  Sometimes it can take a little while to work out the best drugs to help control the sickness.  The other things the doctors can sometimes do is to try and reduce the dose of the chemotherapy if you are finding it difficult to tolerate.  

We do have some information on our website about the different anti sickness drugs that may be used.  Have a look here

We also have some alternative tips on our website for helping to control the sickness  which you might find helpful to have a look at here

I do hope that this has been helpful.  You may find it more useful to talk to one of the nurses on the helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Best Wishes,

Catherine