Biopsy results

Hi everyone,

I received my biopsy results today after 13 days of waiting, consultant has said biopsies taken were benign, she is still concerned about what was showing on ultrasound which was done at the same time.  I am now being sent for a vacuum assisted biopsy to take a larger area of tissue to be biopsied, consultant has said this could possible be several weeks down the line before this can be done.  She mentioned she thought it could be a papilloma in the breast, has anyone else had this or know anything more about it?  On the one hand I am so relieved that biopsy was benign but still feel as though I am not out of the woods yet, specifically saw consultant writing mastectomy in the notes she was taking, why would this be?  Also the Dr taking the first biopsies said he had seen something with a lymph node under my arm but didn't biopsy at the time, consultant has now said this won't be biopsied as radiologist didn't think it was necessary which I don't agree with, surely if they're sending me for a more invasive biopsy they would check the lymph node as well?  On the upside she did say I had excellent breast tissue when she was examining me...that's a first!? Sorry if I sound ungrateful when so many other people may be receiving far worse news, I'm just very confused right now.  Sending the very best of luck to anyone waiting for their results and best wishes to everyone. 

Maggie

• Hello Maggie

I'm glad to hear there was some positive news from your biopsy results this week although I can understand why you're feeling confused and are still worried. It sounds as if the Consultant is being very thorough i nchecking out this area for concern and making sure that there is nothing else going on. 

There's some information about breast papilloma on the Breast Cancer NOw website which I've linked for you here

I'm unsure why the Consultant wrote mastectomy in your notes. I'd certainly say don't be afraid to ask questions about that and if you're unhappy with the contradictory information about this lymph node then make that known to the Consultant as well. 

If it's likely to be some time before you have your next appointment then you could always get in touch with the unit's Breast Care Nurse who should be able to give you some more information. 

Alternatively you could give our nurses a call to talk through your concerns. They're available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

I hope that you don't have to wait too long for the biopsy and that it brings more positive news for you. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator