Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Biopsy results

31 Jan 2018 14:54

My husband had a biopsy on a tumour in the tube to his kidney on 19 Jan 2018 said we should get results in 2-3 weeks.

Well even that sounded like ages but we have today received a letter saying next appt is on 23 Feb 18!  This is over a month of waiting.  My husband was already really worried and depressed but is now even worse and seems unable to do anything or ask anyone for help.

Is waiting this long normal and what could we do?

Re: Biopsy results

1 Feb 2018 16:53 in response to TKR

Dear TKR

Thank you for posting on our forum.

I am sorry to read about your husband’s situation. I can appreciate that waiting is a very stressful and worrying time, not knowing if this is cancer or not.

It isn’t unusual to wait a few weeks to receive results and the 23rd of February isn’t far off the three weeks he was told. This may be due to scheduling of clinics and how busy the department may be. The medical team will also need to wait for all the information from the laboratory to know what the tumour is.

You or your husband could contact the secretary of the doctor he is under and ask if there is any chance or availability for his appointment to be brought forward. However, it may be timed like this because this is when they know all the information will be available to be able to give your husband.

Waiting for biopsy results is an incredibly difficult time and some people are able to cope better than others. For now I think it is trying to keep him busy and distracted. I don’t know what his relationship is like with his GP, but maybe he would benefit talking to them about how difficult he is finding the wait. Has he got friends he is able to chat to? They may be able to distract him or help listen and take some pressure off yourself.

Although I do not know of your and your husband’s circumstances I imagine you are finding this a difficult time too. So, I hope you are looking after yourself too.

I hope this has been of some use. You are more welcome to get back to us if you have any more questions or you and your husband can call us on 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.

Best wishes

Georgina