Biopsy

Hi, 

I have a vascular lump on my abdomen and I have been referred to the sarcoma clinic. It's a 2 week waiting time. What do they do at this clinic? Will they arrange a biopsy? I'm assuming the biopsy will be another 2 weeks and then the results another 2 weeks after that?? Should I go private? How will the manage the vascularity when they do the biopsy? 

• Hello and thanks for your post,

I am sorry to hear that you are having investigations for a lump on your abdomen.

There are various tests that doctors  may do and they may even do a core biopsy on the day but of course how investigatons are done does vary from hospital to hospital. If they do a core biopsy they are only taking a very small amount of tissue. I can understand that you want as much information as possible but you probably need to wait until you have seen the doctors and they can tell you how they will take a biopsy.

We have some information on some of the tests that they may do when you see them. Have a look here

I think that if you are being seen within two weeks then I don't think that it will be necessary for you to go down the private route. I can't say how long it will take to get all the tests done as if they do suspect soft tissue sarcoma they will do a variety of tests so they can get as much information as possible. The biopsy will be looked at under a microscope by a pathologist and they will then be able to confirm whether it is or is not sarcoma.

All suspected cancers are discussed in a formal meeting where all the doctors involved in your care such as the pathologist, radiologist and oncologist will discuss your case and if it is cancer work out your next steps.

I can understand how unsettling it all can be but it is important that all the different investigations are done and then discussed.

You are more then welcome to ring and discuss any of this with one of the nurses on the helpline. We are here Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040.

All the Best,

Catherine