Biopsy

Hi, 

Can someone please tell me the process of a biopsy? I am having an ultrasound with possible biopsy on Tuesday and would like to understand the process of having one. If I do have one it'll be on the glands in my neck. 

Many thanks,

Robyn x

• Hi Robyn, haven't had one myself, but from what I have read, a fine needle is inserted into the area under general anaesthetic and a small sample is taken for investigation. Everyone I have read has said completely painless.

Mind if I ask what glands or lymph's have swollen? I got 4 in my neck area that don't feel right, and I'm gonna try and push for an ultrasound myself. 

• So I have 2 both on my right side and they have been up for about 8 weeks. Also had symptoms like weightloss and itching. Went to my gp who sent me on a 2 week referral, saw a haematology consultant last week who has referred me for an ultrasound with possible biopsy which will be happening on Tuesday. Have you been to the gp? 

• I went just over 2 weeks ago after finding a swollen left submandibular gland on left side (under jawline left of centre to chin) and since then it has grown to about a grape size, firm and doesn't seem movable, now another on but not as big has started to form on right side submandibular  plus a small pebble size above left collarbone and another hard pebble size on right side at base or shoulder.

Blood test came back "satisfactory " but wasn't given much else as my gp is phoning me tommorrow, and the receptionist said the notes mentioned a plan for a scan.

im worried now that it could be something to do with salivary grands rather than lymph nodes, or both, it's driving me crazy. Did yours grow slowly or quickly within those 8 week? Do you mind if I ask how your blood tests came back?

Thanks

Rick

• Hello! I have got 4 lumps in my neck. I was referred to the ENT consultant who said he's almost sure it's normal reactive nodes. The consultant though has still urgently referred me for an ultrasound and biopsy under the 2 week wait suspended cancer line. I was confused why when he was sure of his opinion why would he send me for those tests and also so quickly?! x

• I think they grew slowly, like I don't think I woke up one day and they were as big as they are now. I have one lump under my jaw also and the other is just to the side of the boney bit at the front of my neck this one feels the worst as its pretty solid and I think potentially affecting my breathing. My bloods came back with my white blood cells and liver slightly up but nothing major. 

Robyn

• That was my thought. My ultrasound is on Tuesday which is within a week of my first appointment so that's what worries me. Like if he thought it was nothing it wouldn't be so quick. Have you had you scan and biopsy yet? X

• Yeah very odd. I worry, just because he seemed so certain it was reactive nodes. Why would he waste time and resources if he was so sure? I'm sure I'm looking too much into it. No I haven't had the scan and biopsy yet, waiting for the appointment letter to come though. Only had the ent appointment yesterday x

• Robin - No not yet, the receptionist just told me there's a plan for a scan with my blood results, gp is supposed to be phoning me tommorrow. 

What's frustrating is I have seen about 3 different gps and a dentist, and each time they feel it they don't seem to overly concerned, but having 4 lumps, to me anyway, is some to be concerned about.

Rick

• Jld21, if you don't mind me asking, were any of the lumps under jaw in submandibular area?

• Yes, I believe so. I have 3 clumped together right side of neck under jaw. And then one more but on the side of my neck just above my collarbone! I wasn't to worried about the lumps originally, but I had had other symptoms and all of it together panicked me!