Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Biopsy

14 Nov 2017 13:40

I had a Colposcopy and Biopsy done yesterday. They said I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for my results. I'm really worried. I'm going travelling on New Year's Eve and if anything needs sorting it means I won't be able to go. The nurse thinks she's found some 'pre cancerous' cells. What does this even mean! 

Re: Biopsy

15 Nov 2017 23:35 in response to Phoebe1998

Hi Phoebe,

I see that this is your first time on the forum, so a very warm welcome to Cancer Chat.

Waiting for your results is always a scary time, especially when you have your travels booked. Have you told your consultant that you are due to go away at New Year? Are you planning on being away for long? If it is only for a short time, I am sure that your surgeon will work around this if at all possible.

I have had two bouts of breast cancer and found waiting a week to get my results was agony. I cannot imagine how difficult you find it to have to wait 4 weeks. Try to keep yourself busy, to distract you from the interminable wait. If you must look things up, be sure to only use reputable sites.

I am not a medic, but as far as I understand, pre-cancerous means that it has been caught early, but could potentially turn cancerous at a later time, so it’s worth monitoring regularly. Sometimes the suspect cells are removed at this stage to give you the best possible chance.

Please let us know how you get on when you return for your results. We are always here for you whenever you feel like talking.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx