Best humidifier during radiotherapy?

Hello everyone

my Dad has recently been diagnosed with a  cancer of the larynx and will start a 4-6 week course of daily radiotherapy in just over a week’s time. I came across your forum and have found it both helpful and inspiring and have been really encouraged by your journeys

I’m sure I will have more to post in time, but as a first question , I wonder if anyone had any recommendations as to the best humidifier to buy to ease the side effects of treatment? I’ve seen them referred to lots and my mom would like to buy one for my dad. If you have any that you’ve found particularly helpful, I’d love to hear about them!

bye for now,

sarah

• Hello Sarah
    I'm sorry to hear that your Dad has recently been diagnosed with cancer. It's lovely that you want to help him be as prepared as he can be ahead of his treatment. 

You can find lots of references to humidifiers using the search function on the forum but I'm going to start by tagging in Hazel (aka [@RadioactiveRaz]‍ ) as I'm fairly sure that she used one during her treatment. I seem to remember her saying she found it invaluable. 
    You might also want to have a read through some of the posts on this thread here. There are a lot of comments but hopefully you'll find it useful and be able to connect with others who have been in a similar position to your Dad. 

I hope that Dad's treatment goes smoothly. Do keep in touch and let us know how he gets on. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi this is Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz I am now 15 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer yes I used a humidifier throughout treatment and during recover. Mine was a cool mist ine from amazon cost appx £25 it was oval in shape and a lilac and white one .i also had a nebuliser given by the hospital which again I used between 4-6 times a day .

although my cancer was tonsil I had 35 sessions of radiotherapy and 2 cisplatin chemotherapy.i did a blog which may he,o yiu and your mum understand what my experiences were. I am now living my life almost back to normal 

blog www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com

good luck Hazel 

any questions just message me 

• Hi Jenn

thank you so much for your kind reply and for putting me in touch with Hazel (aka radioactive raz!). I have now followed this particular thread and have already found it so helpful. It’s just so good to read similar stories and to hear about their challenges but also the happiness at the end too. Very encouraging :-)

thanks again,

Sarah x

• hi hazel

thank you so much for replying to me. My mum has now bought a great humidifier from Argos - it was a great tip from the forum and I think my Dad will find it invaluable. I’ve also picked up lots of other tips from you all and have a nice little supply of things to help my Dad along the way.

great to see you looking so well and enjoying life once more. I hope that your tastebuds pick up in time too. My Dad is already very slim so we really don’t want him to lose too much weight at all. That’s one of my biggest worries- eating during the treatment. Can you recommend any particular foods that helped? Guess it’s different for everyone .

thanks again for now,

Sarah x

• Hi Sarah. Thank u best advise I can give you us load everything up with extra calories while your dad can still eat. Cream in soups scrambled egg on top of avocado is good. Butter full fat milk ice cream.  I never lost taste which is s double edge sword as when it was hard to eat I could taste but still suffering lack of saliva. Yes we are all different which is why what works fir one may not work for sll another good source if your g o will prescrysre the Ensure high food supplement drinks 200 mil liquid is 400 goid galore. Keep off the chocolate or coffee one s of dsd gets used to drinking them now will help later into treatment 

kerp in touch Hazel x

• Thank you so much Hazel- I’ll tell my mum this so she can start subtly loading my Dad up with all the extra calories she can.

all really helpful advice and much appreciated. Speak to you soon

Sarah x