At least 8 tumours in brain.

Hello.

My story so far....

In November 2018 mum finally visited the GP as a lump just in front of her right ear was starting to get painful.  She was very quickly referred to the ENT clinic and following a biopsy an appointment was made for removal of a number of tumours.  For reasons that are still being formally investigated, she found herself in early January being given a terminal cancer diagnosis, with the tumours having moved from the salivary glands to her lungs and spleen.

So far, since January mum has had 2 weeks of radiotherapy to her salivary glands to reduce the pain of the growths pressing on her nerves.  Although this was successful, the side effects of extreme burns on her toungue, gums and throat were difficult for her to deal with.

Mum started chemotherapy (both intravenous and tablets) at the end of March .  The tablets made her ill and we ended up in hospital.  

Not 24 hours after discharge from this mum had a big seizure and had to return to hospital and is now on seizure drugs and steroids.  She finished 5 sessions of whole head radiotherapy on Wednesday.  The doctors and nurses involved in mums treatment are truly wonderful.

Prior to the appearance of tumours in the brain, mum had a prognosis of 9-12 months, since then this has been reduced from 3-6 months, with maybe 2 added extra due to radiotherapy .

My struggle is that I feel defeated already!  I know it’s not my life, but I’m frustrated with my mum for not accepting the facts.  She is absolutely insistent that she will survive this.  She is therefore sitting it out and waiting till she is better befor picking up on life again.

I am frustrated that mum think she she has all the time in the world....I want to stop work and ‘make memories’ but she’s insisting that i return to work!  If if try and get therbto think about a ‘bucket list’ that I can help her achieve, it falls on deaf ears, or at worse, I’m accused of wishing her ill.

Shes always been so independent and she will NOT ask for help!  She is devastated that she can’t drive anymore.

I don’t want to go back to work (I’m so fortunate that I can take a career break if needed), I couldn’t possibly concentrate anyway....and TBH feel rejected...

• Hi there ...

Please don't feel rejected ... we all deal with cancer and diagnosis differently ... some think they are going to die early on (myself included) others like my brother in law, fought to the very end ... never giving up hope ... we all do the best we can .. l was so very lucky, l had a family that just let me do whatever l felt was right for me .. they respected every decision l made .. 

This is your mum's journey .. for however she wants to do it ... are you sure it's not you who wants to do things your way ... you could still let your mum lead the way ... still get your time off work .. you can tell your mum, it's leave you are owed ... she doesn't have to know it's for her ... then ask her what she'd like to do ... you don't have to say the word "bucket list "  play her game .. go with her ... hold her hand and walk HER path right there by her side ... you can still make lovely memories,  but doing it her way ...

Just go with the flow, and you'll be glad you did ... every day is a bonus ... that's what l do now ... make the most of each day ... and I'd be just like your mum .. l will do it my way ... like the song ....

You can do this ....   together ....

• P S ... please know, tumours on the brain can change someone's personality. . So you may see a few different mood changes in her too .. just go with whatever she feels even if she gets angry or upset, that could be down to the tumours too ...

So so sorry your going through this time. .  My thoughts are with you ... Chrissie x