Asbestos

Hi all. 

I'm hoping someone can help. I've seen posts on here about asbestos exposure and apologies if this isn't the correct forum. 

I recently took down an artex ceiling in my spare roo. That was tested for asbestos. This came back positive and was convinced by my friend (he has worked within the industry for many years) to do it myself. 

I was provided with a correct mask, overalls and put pastes on the ceiling before scraping it off wet. I then bagged it up (double bagged) and took it outside. The window was open all day and the door closed.  I then used the correct hoover on the floor and wiped everything down and out all my overalls etc into a bag and took it outside. I then walked round to the front of my house and into the bathroom. I realised that my overall had split so I rinsed down my clothes and left them. 

I'm now worried about asbestos particles in the air even though I took all the above precautions. I'm worried that they have spread throughout the house and I have a young boy and a pregnant wife and my anxiety is killing me. Today I've not been in that room and had all the upstairs windows open but so worried it's going to cause health concerns for my family. To make my anxiety worse I realised that the t shirt was washed in the washing machine with my little boys clothes as well as others. 

I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows if I'm in danger or will there be any long term effects.   

• Hello Gary87,

people working in the abestos industry did not up and suffer ill effects in their first week of work,likewise most artexers,its long term/lifetetime  exposure,so l think its safe to say unless you intend to do this on a daily basis for the next thirty years plus,you will be fine,

David

• Hi [@gruntifen]‍ 

Thanks for replying and I know I've probably over thought this but it's good to get some reassurance. I have a long family history of cancer and was worried that I hadn't helped matters.