Asbestos??

Hi all...just moved into a terraced house in Liverpool and was investigating why there was no hot water...went to look at the boiler and upon opening the cupboard looked up and noticed a patch of plaster missing from the top of the cupboard exposing what looked like concrete (it was grey that's all I know)? The plaster surrounding this patch was peeling off and even though I never touched the area I'm worried that just opening the cupboard door and having air rushing in might have disturbed asbestos...if there is any in there? The cupboard isn't always fully closed and it's next to the back door which is open often if people are present.

The bits peeling off look very thin... there's a white layer which I'm guessing is paint then a brown layer which I'm guessing is plaster but as I'm naturally very paranoid about asbestos anyway I'm freaking out...help??!!

• Hi this is going to be a very long post but should ease you alot.

Okay so we know that asbestos can be bad so I won't go too into depth with it.

So let's start with the basic. 

We have white, Brown and Blue absestos.

The white is where you will see upto 95 per cent of absestos in a typical old house.

White asbestos isn't as bad as brown or blue and can clear the lungs by themselves where as brown or blue can take upto decades to remove.

The white asbestos is controversial where as some parts of the world believe it is safe and still mine it. There's a town in Russia that is named after asbestos as this is the largest mine that is still currently ACTIVE. They believe over there that the western are being ridiculous about the danger over white asbestos but of course the western scientists says otherwise. There are million of products that are still being made and used with white asbestos and being sent to the USA and ect... And there are also regulations that you can in fact remove white asbestos without a license if using the right equipment so this should give you an idea that it's not the deadliest substance out there. So now we know that the white asbestos isn't as scary as been made out ( but of course, never take it for granted). So now let's say it's in plaster and you have drilled throught it. The chance are it's only going to contain a small portion of white asbestos rather than pure asbestos so again, as I already explained that white asbestos isn't that bad and you have only inhaled small amounts. You need to also remember that the chances are we are all likely to be exposed of asbestos as it's in the atmosphere, as it's a natural substance, on car brakes and so on, so millions of people will have encountered asbestos exposure. If it was that bad, them millions of people would be dropping dead from it, especially before the 70's as it was being used everywhere. Okay do you now understand the white asbestos.

The brown asbestos is slightly worse and less exposure of this can cause cancer, but the blue asbestos is the most deadliest firm of asbestos! But the statatic you need to look at is that only 3% - 13% get cancer from asbestos and this is from normally prolong exposure and working with it directly over many years. 

Let's put this is into perspective and worse case scenario. This is based on evedince and studies and where some of the stastics actually came from.

There was a mine in Australia and a city built around the mine. This was Blue asbestos ( the deadliest form). Now there was 20,000 people who lived here and 7000 people who worked at this mine. The whole city was contaminated and people were constantly breathing it in over the years. The people who actually mined this stuff was exposed to clouds and clouds of blue asbestos 8 or 9 hours a day over months or years. Now that's a lot of of asbestos, yikes! And there was even a barrel and asbestos Game they used the play ( Google it and you can see how much asbestos there really was). Scary stuff, so just think how bad the workers had it, then you got the people who lived in the city where's there husband's or wife came home and spread it or even the atmosphere would of been full of it so as you can imagine that the people of this city would be breathing it in everyday. So after all , sadly just over 2000 people had died of asbestos, in fact let's just say 3000 for arguments sake. So out of 20,000 people where 7000 people who mined the most deadliest asbestos stuff, only 2 -3k people died so 10% of 20,00 is 2000 , hence the only around 10% of people will die from it came from and just think, alot of these people were smokers as well.

Again let's even break that up even more.

Why do only small amount of people get it and some done ? Or you might read a story where someone has had hardly any exposure but still managed to get asbestos cancer. You could look at it like this way, if you had one cigarette, this could give you cancer but the chances are very small and likely wouldn't. You can have someone who smoked a pack of fags a day for years and never get cancer. Unfortunately it's to so with a bit of luck BUT also there gene. People with a type of gene ( BAP 1) are more at risks to develop cancer and this cancer being one. So for instance, let's say that you have 2 people who work with asbestos for years. 1 of them can get cancer from it whilst the other one might not. This could be down to their genes alone. So people with this gene need a lot less exposure than a typical person, hence why some people get it with less expose... Okay so let's break it down even more, so we know that maximum prolong exposure to the deadliest mineral out there , you have let's say 13% chance of getting it, now let's say you do not have this gene that makes you even less likely to get it and you have been exposed to the least deadliest form and asbestos.. I think it's easy to see the chances of you getting it is very minimal, but there's in other factors you can do to even more reduce the chances, again it's been proven that smoking increases the chances of this cancer. So if you smoke and are concerned then quit. A healthy diet always helps and a diet with high antioxidant is always good ( good with repair and keeping your cells normal) and excercise which is basic stuff we know.

So just another little fact, they done a study that people who worked at the blue asbestos mine in Australia for under 3 months, never went on to develop cancer from it. That's still alot of exposure breathing all that in and didn't get cancer from it.

Aother fact, Rolf Harris used to work in the mines when he was a student and he is in he's 80s? I believe. 

If you read the storys of people with the disease, they come from a background of direct exposure with working with the stuff for years or there wives been cleaning their clothes with it covered In it, or people who worked in schools or hospitals for many years where it was covered in asbestos but again, remember what I said and the stastics. There's many factors. 

Just remember there are alot of companies trying to scare people as a money scheme. You never hear stories of people getting it from a quick DIY job and ect.. 

Stop letting anxiety get the best of you and put things into perspective.

Millions of people in 50's, 60's used to play with the stuff when they were kids, throwing it at each other and never got anything. 

Life's to short to worry about something like that..worry will do more damage than that. There's more harmful things like car fumes and ect.