Anyone have Type 11 diabetes and cancer?

I have had type 11 diabetes, controlled by diet and exercise, for about 5 years.  I dont test myself much anymore but I have recently been feeling quite ill and found my blood sugars were 26.  I went to the doctor who has given me Metformin.  It has slowly come down to 12 but is now rising again.  My pharmacist said this will be to do with cancer and medication rather than the wrong food.  My problem is I feel so sick I have only eaten a piece of toast to take my medication in the morning and soup at night. 

Has anyone else had this kind of problem and does it sort itself out in the end?  My doctor has said to take the medication for a week then see him again.

• Hi Paultea tine,

When I was first diagnosed with prostate cancer over six years ago, they also found out I was type 2 diabetic. I was put on three metformin tablets per day, ie breakfast, midday and teatime. I used to take my tablets before eating and thsi used to make me feel quite sick. Mrs B whos has been a diabetic for 39 years and is on five insulin injections per day told me you can have the tablets with or after a meal but not before.

I was never told this by my doctor; I think sometimes they assume we know these things. Asmy body has adjusted somewhat to the tablets I am also now taking four metformin and one glickclazide per day and so far looks good. My one problem was, as I had and still get hot flushes as a result of the hormone therapy for my cancer, I wasnt able at first to tell if it was a hot flush or wither my blood sugars had gone low.

Hope this helps, at least you now know you are not alone. Take care, best wishes, Brian.

• Thanks for replying Brian.  I am taking one 1000mg tablet twice a day, only been on them 6 days so perhaps I am expecting too much.  He has given me slow release tablets which he said will probably avoid any stomach pains.  My blood sugars have never gone low, just the opposite.  Like Mrs B says, I am taking the tablet in the middle of what I am eating.  I too am on hormone therapy and it is hard to know where the symptoms are coming from.  I am sorry you have diabetes but, as you say, it is nice to know you arent alone with your problems.  Thank you. x

• Dear Pauline,

Type 2 Diabetes can exist on its own , but if you have cancer then Chemotherapy makes it worse in some patients . If you vomit and are not well enough to eat then you should immediately call 111 or your doctor as you may be suffering from diabetic Ketoacidosis which can have high mortality and may need Insulin .

Kind Regards

SMA

• Hi,SMA, I haven't had chemotherapy, I refused it.  I haven't actually been sick its just a rather nasty feeling, and I certainly dont want to eat.  I have been told that I should have started on a lower dose but I think the doctor was trying to get the blood sugars down.  Today i was down to 10.5 which was pleasing. but I dont feel better, I am hoping that it will get better in time.  Thanks for replying.