Any advice please

Hiya all , please could anyone give me advice on what to use on my skin for radiation burns , my last radiotherapy session was last Wednesday , I have googled but as usual the results were conflicting, advising on different lotions and creams and some saying don't use anything at all , it's really sore and very painful  , the pain is on and around my booby and under my armpit , I'd really appreciate any feedback  , thankyou , take care xxx

• Hello Jessiepoo and thanks for posting,

I am sorry to learn that your skin is so sore after radiotherapy. 

A couple of years ago the Society of Radiographers updated their guidelines for patients and professionals about skin care during radiotherapy so I think these are the best place to look for online advice. You can download and read their patient leaflet by clicking on this link .   

The general advice is to use moisturiser applying it gently as long as the skin isn't broken, but if an area of skin breaks down stop moisturising in that particular area and get some advice about which sort of dressing to use to cover the raw area of skin. If you need more advice, you could try speaking to someone in the radiotherapy department and GP practice nurses can advise about dressings too.

Taking over the counter painkillers may help with the soreness and sometimes they work better if you take them on a regular basis to try and keep on top of the soreness, but no more than the recommended dose. 

I am sure you know, it can take a few weeks after stopping radiotherapy for the skin to start to settle down. I hope this happens soon. 

Please give us a call if you want to talk anything over. Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are here weekdays 9-5. 

Best wishes,

Julia