Anxious

My sister in law is comung to stay with us on Thursday (she lives about a 3 hour drive away). She has stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver, lungs and spleen. She was diagnosed about 8months ao. She has a deep skin infection in her leg called cellulitis. This is her 3rd round of antibiotics and she is now on 12 a day (I have never known this). I have registered her with my doctor for the duration of her stay. My problem is I am so scared something happens to her in while she is stying with my husband and I. we have both put leave in from work on different days so there is only one day she will be on her own. Any advice? I am not even sure she should be coming as I am so worried about this infection.

• Hi Bobby boy

The best advice I can offer is relax and enjoy your sister in laws company. I'm sure she will benefit greatly from visiting and it will be good for you to spend quality time with her. Your own doctors surgery are on hand should any problems arise. I'm sure they won't but if they do then take a deep breath and don't panic. Is there anything specific you're concerned about? Perhaps you could speak to your GP or practice nurse about your concerns so they can put your mind at ease? 

Netty x 

• Hi Netty, thanks for the reply. I am worried about this infection that does not seem to be clearing up, also about the amount of time she is sleeping. I am looking forward to her coming and spending time with her. I think what I am fearful of is we/I let her down in any way with regards to care. I have never had to look after someone this ill before.

• Hi Bobby boy Cancer is scary for everyone. What your sister-in-law needs is your company and love. She knows you are not a nurse. Just being with you will mean so much to her. It is difficult to be on your own when you are not well. Company means so much. My sister let me stay with her when I was ill and it made all the difference. Just to have someone nearby meant such a lot. She will be aware that you are not a nurse. But if you can chat to her, ask her how she is and really listen - with love and without fear, that will help her a lot. Don't be afraid. Just be loving and patient. She will appreciate it so much.
  • Your sister-in-law sounds as though she has plenty of problems and it is lovely that you are offering her love and support in your home.  I would also say try not to worry and you have done the right thing by registering her with your GP.  Try to relax so that she can also and get the most benefit from her visit.  There is no reason why you cannot talk in a friendly manner about the cellulitis and what actions you need to take so that it doesn't cause problems, e.g. individual towels etc which are frquently washed.  Enjoy the time you have with her in your home.  I know you may feel it is easy for me to say this but in the future your husband and yourself may well be glad she paid you this visit.

• ,Hi PhilA

She has stayed with us many times, even with this horrible illness. To be honest she does much better with us. I would like her to move in with us but she has a son where she lives and grandchildren. I am going to spoil her and make all the meals she like, she can only eat a child portion now. But there is a big improvement when she is here. We do talk, we laugh and cry and tell each other we love each other. Maybe I need to think more positive. I think part of it is because this will be her last Christmas and I want to make it special. She has chosen to come here as she enjoys spending Christmas with us.

• I am reading the various posts and it is lovely that you don't seem quite as stressed as when you wrote the first one.  You sound a loving family and although you sounded stressed in the first post you are obviously a loving caring family who will all have a good time. 

• Yes we are Anneielz, she means so much to all of us. I do not feel as stressed now as I was. Maybe I needed to get it off my chest and put it in perspective. If I spend all Christmas worried then I will not get what I want and that is to give her and us a lovely Christmas. Thanks for the reply.

• She is very blessed to have you.  Remember to keep breathing - it will help.  

You're good friends and that is wonderful for you both.

Lots of love will be thinking about you both and any family members too.

Blessings x

• Thank you PhilA

those kind words mean a lot to me. This whole thing is a rollor coaster of emtions for all of us. I hate this cancer as there is no hope. I just keep getting my hopes up only to be dashed again. And I feel for her, she is so strong and has lots of courage. Indeed she is a trooper.

thanks for caring x